Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new electrical certificate of compliance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries

The new electrical certificate of compliance

OK. Which bright spark is responsible for designing the new electrical certificate of compliance?

Getting an A3 copier, printer or scanner is no big deal. Even dealing with the old one on an A4 machine wasn't that bad. This new amalgamated 3xA4 page deal is the pits.

Have you any idea what it costs for a machine that can handle these new ones? Assuming there might be such a beast
    Last edited by Dave A; 16-Apr-10 at 01:28 PM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Get yourself an A1 copier (like the architects use), and cut it in half since you only need the one side.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    OK. Which bright spark is responsible for designing the new electrical certificate of compliance?

Getting an A3 copier, printer or scanner is no big deal. Even dealing with the old one on an A4 machine wasn't that bad. This new amalgamated 3xA4 page deal is the pits.

Have you any idea what it costs for a machine that can handle these new ones? Assuming there might be such a beast

I just neatly cut the thing in 3 pieces and make my copies for future references. The originals I staple together and hand it to the client.

Who knows if there is a law against that too.
    Last edited by Dave A; 16-Apr-10 at 01:29 PM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I've got a test sheet that I use to do my COC. This stays with me. The COC I give away, as the info is the same. On the COC I do a computer diagram of the house and the layout of all the electrical equipment. I print this on an A4 white label, cut out the diagram and paste it in the new "sketches" block on the coc. Then I sign it across the edge to make damn sure no one can ever remove it. I scratch every open block, and fill in all the blocks required.....

my test sheet is available on request, for a moderate fee
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Email problem
    Thanks
    u do realise each one has a serial no. which the e.c.b. keeps on reckord

Thanks
    You must be joking!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    We all have registration numbers. Why not use our registration numbers and add 6 digits which we can then consequently allocate to each COC we issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bret owen beets View Post
    u do realise each one has a serial no. which the e.c.b. keeps on reckord
    I've got to say with Spark's idea the origon of the COC would still be traceable. The downside is it would also be more vulnerable to fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Why can we not get a editable printable document and do everything on the PC once and then just have a template for the installation details.
    This really would be pretty cool

Yeah, I know the idea poses some challenges, but I'm sure with some careful thought they could be overcome.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've got to say with Spark's idea the origon of the COC would still be traceable. The downside is it would also be more vulnerable to fraud.

This really would be pretty cool

Yeah, I know the idea poses some challenges, but I'm sure with some careful thought they could be overcome.
    "vunerable to fraud"...not if it was done how it should be...a copy sent to the DOL to be kept on record...stored by contractor...so if there are complaints about a contractor...an investigation into all cocs issued by the contactor can be opened...if there is a trend of misconduct...his/her license can be suspended...then people cant say that a particular person or dol inspector is targeting a contractor...most of us make the odd mistake...and if you dont make mistakes you would be at the top of my list to start random checks...i was listening to a contractor shouting off his mouth about how great he is and all his work is perfect...just listening to him whine on about everyone elses work and how great his work is...i picked up that he doesnt keep up to date with the latest ammendment...for one thing...it is people like him that i would insist that all inspectors at retested at least every 5 years and make it compulsory to attend a refresher course at least every 2 years to keep up to date with the latest changes...which will give the inspector credits...no credits...no license...plain and simple....there are too many old school master electricians who dont even own the latest regulations yet are still classified as master electricians...and as a patient in an operating theatre would be a little nervous knowing they signed over the coc for the theatre i was a bout to have my heart bypass...or brain surgeory.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Now they just need to teach the inspectors how to fill out the COC.

Reading through one yesterday, which was issued on tuesday, the inspector has no idea how to fill it out or just doesnt care like most of us, knowing there is no repercussion for what you write on them.

I am yet to find a customer who is willing to waste the money of paying for an investigation. They normally just instruct me to fix and make it right. I am not complaining because it is just more work for me. Then again as i have heard before on this forum, if you are stupid enough to rely on the sellers to issue a COC then unfortunatey you must suffer the consequences.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm just not comfortable with the idea of not having a copy of the COC on file. Maybe cutting it into three pages is the answer - certainly a lot easier than cutting an A1 machine in half

It took me 10 minutes to figure out how the problem could have been solved at the design stage - have a COC for new installations and extensions, and a "test and repair only" certificate.

And there's a bonus going this route. I've raised the problem before of new connections being made based on a test only certificate - this way with a little education suppliers would know to look for a new installation certificate. It would help identify where new installations are being put in without the general supervision of an accredited person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast