Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new electrical certificate of compliance

Thanks
    It is personal. I am an Accredited Electrician and look what has been done to my industry. I go to bed knowing someone and their family are safe because of my effort. Look at what I must do to be legal, yet, the government makes matters worse rather than better. If that is not shortsited it must be stupidity. My COC is issued free of charge, the time spent inspecting premises is paid for whereafter a quote is submitted for the repairs required to bring the installation up to standard. The COC is certification that everything is compliant(broadly a gaurantee) how can this be charged for. Look how long it takes to complete the COC, not to mention entering all the data on the PC for record keeping. Why can we not get a editable printable document and do everything on the PC once and then just have a template for the installation details. We all have registration numbers. Why not use our registration numbers and add 6 digits which we can then consequently allocate to each COC we issue. I better stop now there is too much that is wrong.

Email problem
    Thanks
    u do realise each one has a serial no. which the e.c.b. keeps on reckord

Thanks
    You must be joking!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    We all have registration numbers. Why not use our registration numbers and add 6 digits which we can then consequently allocate to each COC we issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bret owen beets View Post
    u do realise each one has a serial no. which the e.c.b. keeps on reckord
    I've got to say with Spark's idea the origon of the COC would still be traceable. The downside is it would also be more vulnerable to fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Why can we not get a editable printable document and do everything on the PC once and then just have a template for the installation details.
    This really would be pretty cool

Yeah, I know the idea poses some challenges, but I'm sure with some careful thought they could be overcome.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Murdock, I've created an electronic CoC which is approved by the ECA and now they are using it to develop an online electronic CoC system.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    OK. Which bright spark is responsible for designing the new electrical certificate of compliance?

Getting an A3 copier, printer or scanner is no big deal. Even dealing with the old one on an A4 machine wasn't that bad. This new amalgamated 3xA4 page deal is the pits.

Have you any idea what it costs for a machine that can handle these new ones? Assuming there might be such a beast
    Hi Dave,
    I photograph all faults found during an inspection, and again after repair, and they get kept in the customers personal folder on the PC.
    I also photograph the eventual COC and keep that in the same folder.
    I also have a inspection sheet which I keep in a hardcover file under the address.
    Lots of records but who knows when it may be necessary to relate to it.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ultimately my gripe was the failure to consider the practical considerations of keeping a copy on record when the 6 page COC was designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I also photograph the eventual COC and keep that in the same folder.
    So what happens when you have to print a copy for someone? Is it readable printed on an A4 sheet?
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Sep-12 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've got to say with Spark's idea the origon of the COC would still be traceable. The downside is it would also be more vulnerable to fraud.

This really would be pretty cool

Yeah, I know the idea poses some challenges, but I'm sure with some careful thought they could be overcome.
    "vunerable to fraud"...not if it was done how it should be...a copy sent to the DOL to be kept on record...stored by contractor...so if there are complaints about a contractor...an investigation into all cocs issued by the contactor can be opened...if there is a trend of misconduct...his/her license can be suspended...then people cant say that a particular person or dol inspector is targeting a contractor...most of us make the odd mistake...and if you dont make mistakes you would be at the top of my list to start random checks...i was listening to a contractor shouting off his mouth about how great he is and all his work is perfect...just listening to him whine on about everyone elses work and how great his work is...i picked up that he doesnt keep up to date with the latest ammendment...for one thing...it is people like him that i would insist that all inspectors at retested at least every 5 years and make it compulsory to attend a refresher course at least every 2 years to keep up to date with the latest changes...which will give the inspector credits...no credits...no license...plain and simple....there are too many old school master electricians who dont even own the latest regulations yet are still classified as master electricians...and as a patient in an operating theatre would be a little nervous knowing they signed over the coc for the theatre i was a bout to have my heart bypass...or brain surgeory.

Suspended
    Thanks
    when you use a fluke 1653...all the results are recorded on a the meter which can be downloaded to a pda...ipad...laptop...etc then printed and i believe fluke and megger both have this facility...which i beleive all inspectors should be using...it proves that all the tests where actually done and at what time etc...i am sure you would find there will still be cheats...but you could monitor their results by the time between tests...the problem is a fluke 1653b for example...will set you back around R30 000...you want to stop all the fraud which is going on at the moment...half job inspections which are being done...this would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks
    Nice simple solutions Murdock, they are always the best ones. Problem is getting them implemented. Not as easy. At the end of the day you still need the monkeypality to re-instate their inspectors and check whether there are COCs for the houses they are supplying power to. There are by-laws which state that there must be a valid COC for each installation connected to their supply. I am surprised they have not done it yet because they stand to make a lot of money out of reconnecting the installations they have disconnected due to lack of COC. DOL will never get around to appointing inspectors to check for that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast