Thread: Steam is killing the computer game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Steam is killing the computer game.

Yes the new supreme commander is out and you will pay R590 for it more or less. But thanks to Steam I will not touch it because again you will need a dedicated internet line and lots of money to download the updates and sell your soul before you can play the game.

So what is the real deal with Steam, why must every game be updatable and why must they have dedicated access to your game? In my opinion they are forcing the gaming community into a corner and it WILL BE the end of PC GAMES in South Africa if they continue to do so.

Steam is the schoolyard bully that wants to destroy the PC gamers’ freedom. Well they are getting away with it. I only hope that Fallout 4 will not be connected to Steam in anyway because they will just destroy the joy of the game.

Well luckily PS3 is a powerful platform and the games is still just basically buy and play “no registration required” And I am thinking to get a PS3 and just drop computer gaming because of Steam and there single-minded “we are god” approach.

Also just a little fact 9 more customers did not buy Supreme Commander 2. Yes that is a R 2950 loss in business for the game shop in question. When I talked to the sales person he told me out of 8 orders not 1 was collected after they were informed that the game demanded registration and online capability. So in the end this is the end to a good game...

Nice going Steam!
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps there is no need to get steamed. It looks like the law of supply and demand is taking effect.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately Steam and there system Steamworks is here to stay and it just end the age old debate of which is better PC platform or Play-Station. Thanks to Steam and there selfish ways the play-station platform just won the debate in my opinion.

So what is the big deal?

Well as steam is killing the PC gamer he/she will no longer:

.a> invest in new computer parts
    .b> invest in software upgrades
    .c> invest in steam game titles.

Upside for Play-Station users:

.a> No registration & has a second hand value
    .b> Hardware upgrades are minimal and restricted (is always optional not a necessity)
    .c> Game will always work with hardware in question
    .d> No updates or patching is needed (however some platforms does support Patching)

So thanks to steam more game titles will be lost but thankfully there are always creative minds at work that will design a game that you will play and enjoy. Also steam will probably be responsible for a massif decline in “pc upgrades” because it is not worth upgrading you computer if you cannot play the game properly. “Single Player” must be enabled and “Multiplayer” must be enabled separately.

This will add R300+ on-top of your games cost. Thus a single came will now cost you R990+ “and if you have to format your computer you get to spend that R300 again and again and again so the cost will escalate... “Where is the fun in that?”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.