Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who needs TAX / Accounting Advice

Thanks
    Thanks. So even if you work at a retail store like music or cna or cardies you still have to register for income tax? I don't understand how it is my responsibility since I heard from allot of people that it is nothing I need to be concerned about, the employer has to register me, deduct the tax and make sure sars gets it. I'm sure many of my friends hasn't personally gone to register, it's the employers responsibility or so I've been told. Also when are you suppose to do tax returns? Surely it's not necessary if your income is less then R120 000 a year and your interest on savings/investments are below the threshold as an employee or independent contractor?

Thanks

SARS Wzard for Registration

http://www.sars.gov.za/Wizard2011/Wizard.htm

Try this wizard, it should answer quite a few of your questions in terms of registration

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks again Geraldene
    Is it possible to get help with this? A provisional taxpayer with rental income only and approx R400 bank interest per year.has left South Africa to work overseas.He didn't apply for tax clearance as he was not sure whether he would stay overseas. He now plans to stay overseas 3 years or longer. What should be done? Can he apply on line for this? Also do his overseas earnings have to be declared as Rands and does he have to apply for foreign tax credits for his overseas tax paid? Or do his earnings not have to be declared as he has paid tax overseas? Would he be classed as a dual resident? Will he have to surrender his South African ID and passport? Also as this is his 1st provisional tax form for rental income does the amount go in the estimated taxable income column and does he leave the individual rebate of R10260 showing on the provisional tax form?Sorry to ask so many questions but this friend really needs help. i'd be grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Thanks. So even if you work at a retail store like music or cna or cardies you still have to register for income tax? I don't understand how it is my responsibility since I heard from allot of people that it is nothing I need to be concerned about, the employer has to register me, deduct the tax and make sure sars gets it. I'm sure many of my friends hasn't personally gone to register, it's the employers responsibility or so I've been told. Also when are you suppose to do tax returns? Surely it's not necessary if your income is less then R120 000 a year and your interest on savings/investments are below the threshold as an employee or independent contractor?
    Employer has to be registered themselves, employees have to register their own selves. employer will pay the tax to Sars on behalf of employee, thereafter it's between Sars and employee.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    employees have to register their own selves.
    Actually, with e@syfile the employer can register the employee for income tax - and most times quite easily too.

But it does the beg the question - is the employer responsible for registering the employee for income tax nowadays?

Perhaps a moot point - I'm not sure it's even possible to do the PAYE recon returns if there is anyone in there without an income tax number - so at the very least the employer is lumbered with driving the process.

Businesses really have been made an extension of SARS nowadays

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Perhaps a moot point - I'm not sure it's even possible to do the PAYE recon returns if there is anyone in there without an income tax number - so at the very least the employer is lumbered with driving the process.

Businesses really have been made an extension of SARS nowadays
    Dave it certainally is possible to perform a recon without having tax numbers for employees, the registration process is as a result of these recons. SARS has all the employee info as soon as you have submitted the return.

SARS would not register someone for Income Tax unless they had a personal bank account and proof of residence, but done via the EMP501 system, there is no verification. Reminds me of the times when one could get a VAT number over the telephone in around 15 minutes

SARS has very cleverly made businesses responsible for doing all the data capturing that prior to 2007 was their responsibility. As stated elsewhere on the forum, SARS doesn't even pre-populate the returns anymore

Email problem
    Thanks
    Is it possible to get help with this? A provisional taxpayer with rental income only and approx R400 bank interest per year.has left South Africa to work overseas.He didn't apply for tax clearance as he was not sure whether he would stay overseas. He now plans to stay overseas 3 years or longer. What should be done? Can he apply on line for this? Also do his overseas earnings have to be declared as Rands and does he have to apply for foreign tax credits for his overseas tax paid? Or do his earnings not have to be declared as he has paid tax overseas? Would he be classed as a dual resident? Will he have to surrender his South African ID and passport? Also as this is his 1st provisional tax form for rental income does the amount go in the estimated taxable income column and does he leave the individual rebate of R10260 showing on the provisional tax form?Sorry to ask so many questions but this friend really needs help. i'd be grateful for any help you can give.As today is the last day for provisional tax filing hoping I can get advice on this one.

Thanks
    Ok, so if I was to start doing work for a start off company as an independent contractor because the owner is not sure whether the business will be a success and therefore does not want to pay me a salary and without signing an agreement or contract and I get only one month's pay (on work done, not on outstanding work) due to the business not going ahead anymore, do I need to register as a provisional tax payer/do tax returns?? For example that is all I get and I'm fortunate enough to be employed by another company as a employee, did I have to go through the trouble of registering as a provisional taxpayer? What are the exemptions for taxpayers not having to register as provisional taxpayers/filing returns?? Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mummy60 View Post
    Will he have to surrender his South African ID and passport?
    About the only guidance I can give with some confidence is he won't have to surrender his SA ID or passport merely on the basis of currently being resident overseas.

I also don't believe the failure to obtain a tax clearance has any bearing on the SA tax implications of him being currently resident overseas.

10. Thanks given for this post:

mummy60 (31-Aug-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, thanks so much for that, do you maybe know if as this is his 1st provisional tax form for rental income does the amount of the rental income go in the estimated taxable income column and does he leave the individual rebate of R10260 showing on the provisional tax form? Time is running out, almost the deadline. Thanks so much for your help

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast