Thread: inspection report query

Suspended
    Thanks

inspection report query

i have just received a faults list for a property which the customer wants me to do the repairs and issue a coc so that the sale can go through.

i have noted 2 interesting points on the faults report

1) supply cable for the outbuilding to be terminated into the main DB

2) DB exposed to the weather - builder to finish gable

firstly if the cable is not connected into the main DB it is not part of the electrcial installation...so if the house is sold the new owner would need to get someone to complete the outbuilding electrical installation and get the electrician who completes the installtion to issue a coc.

the garage DB should be disconnected until such time that the builder completes the building...then once completed an electricain should be called in to connect the cable back into the main DB...test the garage and issue a coc for the garage.

one of the other issues...the main switch is too high...a piece of chain hanging from the main switch sounds like an easy way out

by the way you can see by the faults list who got the inspection report done...must have been the seller because the quote for repairs includes replacing the db at a lower position with a new bigger one...not just lowering the main switch...connecting the cable which has never been connected etc...now i have been called in by the seller just to make the electrical installation reasonably safe.
    Last edited by murdock; 27-Mar-10 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    1) supply cable for the outbuilding to be terminated into the main DB
    It may be that the outbuilding supply is terminated in the closest socket in the main house. I've seen thisa few times where they drill out of the back of a socket and go straight underground outside to supply garages, gates, irrigation systems etc. If this is the case then it falls under the COC.

2) DB exposed to the weather - builder to finish gable

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the garage DB should be disconnected until such time that the builder completes the building...then once completed an electricain should be called in to connect the cable back into the main DB...test the garage and issue a coc for the garage.
    If you disconnect the garage knowing full well that the new owners will probably just reconnect without any remedial action surely this is against the whole idea of the COC? I think that once a part of an electrical installation has failed a compliance test it should either be repaired to standards or removed entirely. Disconnecting items purely for the purpose of issuing a COC is a bit of a gray area.

Suspended
    Thanks
    the supply cable to the outbuilding is lying on the ground coiled up...not connected to anything yet...therefore is not covered by the coc and i do bevlieve it is not the resposibility of the seller to sort it out as it has not yet been connected...it would be a different story if the seller had the cable disconnected due to an illegal connection after the property was sold.

the only thing holding up the completion of the garage is the gable above the door which needs to be filled in by the builder...i think to strip the garage is a bit harsh...i would say disconnecting the cable and removing the cable from the supply DB would be fine...i am sure the buyer wouldnt want the elctricity removed...not only that the buyer purchased the building with the garage connected and working...this is a difficult one.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Mechanically and electrically isolate the cable.......take it off, roll it up, frame it and hang it on the wall when the buyer sees this you'll be there in a flash to finish the installation, making some money.

What I am trying to say, is as long as it is there, they will still consider it being an option to do a quick job later on, when you hand the man the cable with all points disconnected, things will quickly change. Example: I warn people that the socket outlet going through the wall is wired with cabtyre......"yes, we'll consider changing it".......when you stand with the sidecutter in your hand ready to cut it off, then you see some reaction
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i went and did the repairs as per inspection report...to my horror i found that there is twice the amount of repairs to what is on the list...so what do i do leave all the rest of the repairs and contact the person and get him to sign over the coc as i have completed all the faults on his inspection report.

now here is what i found metel light switch covers and screws dont have earth continuity...

no shutters on the plug sockets.

no earth continuity on the various plug sockets.

low earth reading on various plug sockets because of the old split piping being used as the earth continuity.

circuit breakers in the pool db no labeled.

blanks missing on the dbs

cover screws missing on switches plugs and dbs

more sockets missing covers

open wiring in the roof

plug sockets hanging off the wall

outbuilding e/l unit also faulty.

and list just goes on.

i tell you what i am gona do is send the customer a list of faults i found and advise him not to pay the person who did inspection report as he will have a leg to stand on once i am finished with my inspection report and repairs...he can rather pay me for a proper report as well as the repairs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And for the most part those are really obvious, easy to detect faults

How the heck does someone miss those?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

You can buy rose tinted goggles at all good electrical wholesalers designed specifically to help you see past the obvious faults when performing COC inspections. I know a few local electricians as well who swear by them, they never leave home without them. If you want a pair, ask the customer to buy them for you, they'll usually get a better price.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

now this is my gripe...nobody is perfect including myself...and if you make a mistake like dont see a plug behind a wall unit or soemthing to that nature...but this is blatant...and this is were i believe this person should be used as an example...where the DOL should be called in an should be procecuted with a fine which he will feel...like 25% of his monthly turnover...it would make him think the next time he carries out an inspection...but unfortunetly as i will say AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN...there needs to be some type of policing and fines imposed which will make the person think twice and 3 rd time the license should be taken away and suspended for a min of 5 years and he should have to go through the whole process of applying for a new one...and we all know what that involves as some have indicated in other threads.