Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal in South Africa

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newretailer View Post
    I don't understand why they told you that. I have a business account at FNB and have a Paypal account linked into which I can receive payments from other countries. I think Paypal may be cheaper to receive foreign funds for smaller anounts. I try and avoid exports, but do send products to Nigeria every now and again. The last time FNB charged me R125 for receiving R1815 (not through Paypal). The charge went up from R100 for a larger amount in June. I wish I could get away with increasing my prices 25% at a time!

Pap-sak, I have a Capitec merchant terminal and have all my sales paid into my Capitec account directly. I will be closing my personal Standard Bank account this week. I am so sick of the rip-off we have to endure from banks. The only way they seem to be able to make their profits look better is not through real growth, but by introducing new charges as they please and upping existing charges as they want.
    Had a call from FNB today. Weird, but this is what they said: I have been doing my internet banking through a private interface, I would need to do my internet banking through a business interface. Why/how are the different I do not know. I asked how much extra it's costs she did not know. And of course the lady that first tried to help me at the call center did not know. Basically FNB operates on a baffle you with BS routine.

She did ask if she could transfer me to a business consultant...it was great to be able to say, don't bother I am already in the process of changing banks. ( It was quite nice to think that the cash I put into Capitec yesterday saved me around R130 in cash deposit fees AND made R5,50 in interest!)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Let me just tell you about paypal and how absolutely useless they are.

I had to pay a guy for doing some work on my site he asked for paypal. After the run around with FNB i decide to just use my visa card. Easy to set up and make the payment. They take the money from my account straight away. then I get an email....

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to
    work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your
    account until the issue is resolved.

blah blah

I then have to verify my account and my c card, which takes a couple of days as they make a small payment to you card and you have to give them a code that's on your statemant - all irritating but oh well.

At the same time they stop the payment to the guy I am trying to pay.

So I verify everything....

Payment still has not gone through and it's now the 28th. i sent an email on the on the 22nd, heard nothing back. The payment looks liked it has been reversed to me, but not showing up in my paypal account or my C Card.

i have kept contact with the guy that a did the website work, but now, of course, he wants his money.

I decide the fights with paypal, not him, so send him the money again....thinking the account verified ect ect should be fine.

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to
    work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your
    account until the issue is resolved.

SAME BS ALL OVER AGAIN!!

and BTW they do not have an office in SA, you need to phone the states...

What a load of junk, avoid at all costs.

Thanks
    Pap sak
    Thanks for the warning, I use paypal to pay for stuff I bought, and it worked. But I have not tried to register it with FNB.
    Pity FNB don't have a rep on the forum.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Pap-sak, I would send them somewhere too after all of that

I registered with them before I really needed them and also had to go through the credit card procedure. They do that to try and weed out invalid credit cards, but it is a pain. This process is not linked to FNB, but the credit card you are trying to use. Once it has been verified as you described above, it is a painless process. I sometimes buy stuff from other countries and many companies will only deal with Africa via Paypal.

FNB comes into the picture of you have a Paypal account and people want to pay you. You can either use your credit balance for other purchases or if you want to withdraw the money, something like the FNB Paypal account comes into play. All it does is to allow you to go into your Paypal account and transfer a specified amount to your FNB account. I never leave money in my Paypal account as their accounts are known to be hacked on occasion.

I remember I also initially gave up, but then decided to finish the process for credit card approval. This was a couple of years ago and I am glad I did as it has comes in very handy.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Silver Member
    Thanks
    well, the first payment has been refunded this morning. They took money out on the 15th returned it on the 29th. This after I verified myself on around the 18th. I then asked then (on their online form) to still make the payment. Now when I log in, they want me to change my password every time. I will try call them later, had to put money on my skype yesterday as they only have an american telephone number, not a skype one. Nice hey....

Paypal should be great for this country as it's very easy to set up on most eCommerce websites and great for those that do not have a credit card - but would you want your potential customers to go through this?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Pap sak
    Thanks for the warning, I use paypal to pay for stuff I bought, and it worked. But I have not tried to register it with FNB.
    Pity FNB don't have a rep on the forum.
    well I am not going through FNB so not really their fault and these days you can use any bank account...

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytim...-african-banks

Silver Member
    Thanks
    let me carry on banging my head...

1-402-517-4519
    (a U.S. telephone number)

Monday through Friday 9AM to 530PM local South African time
    So it's 09H55 and guess what, I get a message saying lines are not open at the moment - they only open from 9am - 530 pm....what a useless company....

seems they open from 10, but the department that can help me only opens at 14h00, they said they will phone me back...
    Last edited by Pap_sak; 29-Nov-11 at 10:42 AM. Reason: got through....

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    but would you want your potential customers to go through this?
    Heck no!
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I recall, the verified card issue only crops up for payments over $100. Under that it's all sweet.

If you have to make a Paypal payment that's a little over, make a couple of payments under $100 into your Paypal card a few days apart to accumulate the higher balance until you've gone through the verification process.

I know it's a PITA, but it's there for our protection - and if there's a less painful way to verify, I'm sure Paypal would be pleased to hear it

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Dave - nope it was for $42

Anyway, it looks like things have been sorted out after a few phone calls. The first time I got through I was told the department that could help me only opens up 4 hours later - but they would phone me back.....of course they did not. So I phoned back later and got it all sorted. Took about 25 minutes of calls but used skype so wasn't too bad.

The american operators are extremely polite and friendly(very impressed with their phone manner) but not very efficient.

Will not use paypal again, as I said, I can understand the first time, but the second? Why not a third...and then you got the hassle of sorting out the problem in the states. And it's not just me....

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast