Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargaining council

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    at least my visit to the bargaiining council today was a huge success for past fees and future payments
    Have they decided they don't want you anymore?

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have to revise all my past payments and seperate electrical work my staff do from the power quality work i do...and days i didnt put staff on short time etc etc then deduct all the time from my payments made in the past...then keep a log book for future when they work doing electrical work and when we are doing other work which is not related to "electrical contracting"

look like i am in for a refund...best thing i did visiting them yestertday other wise i would have just kept on paying for things i dont have to

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's the irony in all this. The central agreement has become so complicated they start tripping themselves up with all the rules. Trouble is most people just roll over.

I'm waiting to see how my current scrap resolves before I post any details, but it's getting interesting.

4. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (27-Oct-09)

Email problem
    Thanks

BC under seige

Well done Murdock, an old tactic before the smart bombs was to cut off supply to weaken the enemy before launching an attack.

That having been said in our company we do many facits of works and electrical only accounts for 60% of our revenue, the bargaining council gets a return on 100%.

Please keep us informed as to whether you actually get this right. Luckily we have just purchased software to run the service and installation side that can track each individual task and can group those tasks into catagories like, electrical, mechanical, civil.

I can't wait to tackle the BC on this.

Dave, we had actually joined the ECA last year so I re-routed my woes through them. I questioned the 50+% registration and the between the line reply was that this achieved through ECA membership alone (there is definately strength in numbers). I was asked to stand off till after the next council meeting where the ECA would appeal the council decision.

I'll keep the forum updated on new developments...

Suspended
    Thanks
    i resigned fro mthe eca and have since started saving even more money...because if you are a member of the eca the bargaining council take their portion on top of the bargaining councils...so at the end of the day the less people/organisations you belong to the less you get shafted.

just to let you know i was a member of the eca for more than 10 years...and to date as a small company have never gained anything from it other than a couple free drinks at the meetings...non of my claims for outstanding money were ever collected etc etc...

Thanks
    A thought crossed my mind. It is a known fact that Plumbers charge more than Electricians do and therefore have better margines.
    Why have i never heard from any of the plumbers that they have the same gripes??
    Second question. Is there a Plumbers Association?
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm now very curious as to how Murdock and Gerald get on with this pro-rata business. Here's my current scrap, which I may as well post now because it's starting to go around in circles.

When you register with the bargaining council, you indicate the number of hours in your standard work week - in my case 8 hours per day, 5 day week - equals 40 hours per week.

Now you'd assume this is used in calculating their bill - wrong!

I've been trying to figure out why my pension fund deductions don't add up to what I'm being billed. It turns out the BC has been billing me based on a 44 hour week. So I send this email message:
    Having examined the returns, it seems these figures are based on a 44 hour working week. Could you please confirm that?
    This is an issue as our company works a 40 hour week and we have made all our calculations to date accordingly i.r.o. pension contributions.
    The response:
    All deductions are calculated on a 44 hour working week we cannot bill contractors on a 40 hour week.
    If need be you could recover the difference of the employee contributions from the employees we have
    an acknowledgement letter which we could provide you with. ( in respect of the four hour diffrence)
    So I ask for this acknowledgement letter and an explanation as to how this is covered in terms of the central agreement. No response. Just a summons to arbitration - eventually.

Arbitrator agrees I'm entitled to an explanation of this state of affairs and we agree to meet again to thrash this out later in the week. At the meeting it is agreed that I will be sent this letter and the pension fund agreement. No sign of the pension fund agreement yet, but I've been sent an Acknowledgement of Debt letter yesterday, out of which this little paragraph has relevance:
    The employer is therefore entitled to make deductions from the employees remuneration only for the employees portion which includes the Council levies (0.35% per week), pension fund (5.6% per week), and if applicable, sick pay fund levies (0.25% per week), party union subscriptions, and agency shop fees.
    That's what I've been doing - at least for the pension fund. I didn't know I could deduct 0.35% from my employees for Council levies. I'm sure they're going to love that news

Let's just run over the maths here so that everyone can follow.
    • Pension contribution is supposed to be 14%
    • 40% of contribution is for the employee.
    • 60% of contribution is for the employer.
    • 14% x 40% = 5.6% - the employee's contribution.
    • 14% x 60% = 8.4% - the employer's contribution.
    • The employee is being paid (and deductions calculated) based on 40 hours per week).
    • The employer is being billed by the BC at 14% based on 44 hours per week.
    • This is 10% more hours than are actually being worked.
    • Effectively the employer is being billed at 15.4% by the BC.
    • This means the employer is actually paying 9.8%.

Or put another way - the employer is paying 10% too much based on the total pension bill, or 16.67% too much based on what the employer should be paying.

Essentially I'm being told their systems don't allow for billing according to my actual work hours, hence my curiosity about how Gerald and Murdock end up getting on.

My argument is their admin system handicap should not become my problem. Perhaps I'm headed for yet another round of arbitration.

I also can't help but wonder how many other electrical contractors are being overbilled like this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave A; 25-Jul-09 at 08:00 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave you must ask them what the R48 levy they charge you because you are the director...i am yet to get reply...when i spoke to them about it they said it was a "standard fee" just because my company is registered with them that they had to charge me...it must be something like the sundries fee you pay when you have your car serviced...whether they use the rags or not is not important you just pay for it regardless...you dont like it take your car somewhere else...problem with the BG is you cant go somewhere else.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Murdock, when I asked (my point - directors/partners don't fall under the BC) I got much the same answer - essentially it's a company registration fee.

Still haven't got the pension agreement yet, BTW.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Murdock, when I asked (my point - directors/partners don't fall under the BC) I got much the same answer - essentially it's a company registration fee.

Still haven't got the pension agreement yet, BTW.
    then why do you pau it every month? that was my question still no answer.

i operated as a pirate contractor for years and boy did i save money...my advise to anyone starting out stay out of the loop as long as you can...unfortunately as the company grows you have to register to otherwise the bigger companies will not give you work...but if you plan on staying small and just working in the domestic market or another way is to sub contract to bigger companies...you will save a lot of money.

it like a tv license if you buy one with your tv and dont pay it they will hunt you down and have the sheriff take other things even if you havent had a tv for the period they are nailing you for rather put the tv into someone elses name who already has one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.