Thread: sans junction box

Suspended
    Thanks

sans junction box

one of the most challenging parts of the coc is the roof space.

some people say the roof space is now regarded as a junction box?
    i believe that if any other services are in a space be it a roof or the like every precaution should be taken to prevent these other services being affected by dangerous wiring...especially considering you are normall y sweating like a pig up there...sometimes flat on your stomach trying to work in arkward positions....whoever came up with that ruling must be an office clown who has never had to work in a roof

the other issue i have when doing inspections are the wires between the pipe and light fitting...when do you declare it as open wiring...all connections should be done in a junction box then one wire should be taken to the light being a piece of 3 core silicon.

wiring conected in tee boxes...eesh i see this a lot in old houses.

and as for 12 volt downlights and transformers...i think a new thread will be required.

insurance companies should be a lot more strict with payouts...like if you have a smooth tyre no claim they should clamp down on electrical installtions...if not up to standard no insurance cover...this would also help to improve the electrical industry...and root out illegal fly by nights...it is found that a n unregistered person works on an instalation no claim...it will also force the public to become more aware of things like the coc and keep the copy in a safe place....like they do their vehicle log book...with all records of work done on the installtion after a coc is issued.

i dont know why they dont already do it...maybe ther eis something i am missing because surely they would save lots of money in payouts.

i have been requested to carry out thermal inspections by insurance comapnies but never a coc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    one of the most challenging parts of the coc is the roof space.

some people say the roof space is now regarded as a junction box?
    i believe that if any other services are in a space be it a roof or the like every precaution should be taken to prevent these other services being affected by dangerous wiring...especially considering you are normall y sweating like a pig up there...sometimes flat on your stomach trying to work in arkward positions....whoever came up with that ruling must be an office clown who has never had to work in a roof
    I will never accept open connections in a roof space. All connections and terminations must be in a lidded box which is fixed securely (not loose).

the other issue i have when doing inspections are the wires between the pipe and light fitting...when do you declare it as open wiring...all connections should be done in a junction box then one wire should be taken to the light being a piece of 3 core silicon.
    Connections should be inside the filling for bulkhead lamps or in the cone cover for cieling fans / chandeliers etc.

wiring conected in tee boxes...eesh i see this a lot in old houses.
    You mean the steel conduit inspection elbows?

and as for 12 volt downlights and transformers...i think a new thread will be required.
    This is completely another topic. Unsecured transformers, incorrectly fused transformers, unsecured transformers, undersized wiring on the 12volt side, no PFC in large installations. LV lighting installations were problems from day 1. The original regulations allowed large transformers with up to 12 lamps running one them. There were many fires caused by poor terminations, lack of transformer secondary fusing and undersized wiring which led to a hasty review of the rules to try to make them more idiot proof.....I could go on.

insurance companies should be a lot more strict with payouts...like if you have a smooth tyre no claim they should clamp down on electrical installtions...if not up to standard no insurance cover...this would also help to improve the electrical industry...and root out illegal fly by nights...it is found that a n unregistered person works on an instalation no claim...it will also force the public to become more aware of things like the coc and keep the copy in a safe place....like they do their vehicle log book...with all records of work done on the installtion after a coc is issued.

i dont know why they dont already do it...maybe ther eis something i am missing because surely they would save lots of money in payouts.

i have been requested to carry out thermal inspections by insurance comapnies but never a coc.
    I doubt change in this respect will be driven by insurance companies. It needs to come from within the governing bodies of industry itself. The rules are there, they just need some enforcing to the point that anyone who does shoddy or unsafe work should be waiting for a knock on the door and serious consequences to follow.
    Until this happens it will be a free for all where the qualified guys who work to high standards and have business liability insurance will always find it hard to quote against the fly by night outfits. Market forces won't sort it out either, the customers just want the job doing as cheap as possible.