Hi all.

There are enough electrical gurus floating around this ( my favorite ) forum so thought I would ask for some guidance here.

After the latest (expected) shock from Eskom, I have started to think about alternate energy for some basic things around the house.

Now not being an expert electrical person, can anyone tell me if I have the right logic here .... ?

Am looking at wind powered generators but not too sure about the maths.

A wind turbine ( yes, I am on a very 'breezy' hill ) generates ( it's specs say ) 1 kW. ( I assume this is per hour, and at optimum speed ? )

So that 1000w at 12 volts = 83 amps.

So I connect this to a deep cell battery ( 105 Ah ) and it will take 1.27 hours to charge.

The system requires a charge controller, so when the battery is fully charged and registers 14 volts, it switches the input from the turbine to a heating element, say, feeding my pool ( I know : minute amount of heating, but protecting the battery ).

On the other side of the battery, I have a 1000W inverter. So this takes the 105 Ah 12 volt from the battery and converts to 220 volt ( 105Ah x 12v ) to 1260 Watts, and assuming there must be some loss in the process, say 15%, I get out 1071 Watts. ( and 1071 W / 220 V = 4.86 Amps )

Now I have 10 energy saving bulbs ( 11 w each ) = 110 watts total per hour, and the battery and inverter should run these for 1071 / 110 = 9.7 hours.

I have used ( Eskom-less power ) of just over 1Kw. I have saved a grand total of just R 1 ?? Well, today at least. for the month R30, for the year R365, and for as long as my system doesn't require any costly maintenance.

Is my logic here correct ?