Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Green without going new age or supertech

Thanks
    Now here is an interesting battery run with salt water and no acid, they don't tell what the pricing is though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EhnmWo2CZ8
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Now here is an interesting battery run with salt water and no acid, they don't tell what the pricing is though.

salt water batteries isn't anything new, but they don't exist in the commercial market for the simple reason that they can't handle the higher loads, as explained in this video. These are fine for smaller loads at home, but that's about it. Stacking too many of those batteries will have new challenges with cabling, fuses, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post

Pricing here

Interesting alternative. Their statement of 1500 cycles for a lead acid battery at 50% discharge does not cover every day discharge, which is almost a quarter of that according to my experience.
    I find that solar charging lead acid and doing a 50% discharge that next evening on a daily basis, yields about 200 cycles.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Pricing here

Interesting alternative. Their statement of 1500 cycles for a lead acid battery at 50% discharge does not cover every day discharge, which is almost a quarter of that according to my experience.
    I find that solar charging lead acid and doing a 50% discharge that next evening on a daily basis, yields about 200 cycles.
    Ouch!

Without import freight, import duties and VAT, it would cost me R103,054.74 to replace my current 48V/225Ah AGM battery bank! Let's use their 90% DOD example, or rather let's say I can halve what I have with these batteries, then it would still cost me R51,527.37. Without freight, import duties (+10%?) and VAT (+14%). So, R64,615.32 without courier / freight! Definitely NOT cheaper than Lead Acid.
    And then support would be costly since you need to pay the freight back.
    And you need to purchase a separate DC combiner box, which could probably cost another R6K

At R 57,060.00 I can get a Lithium Iron Yttrium Phosphate (LiFeYPo4) battery, with 7000 cycles, locally. This is from one of the more expensive distributors. It'll probably cost a bit less through my own company.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345