Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green without going new age or supertech

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here you will find a lot of info on LED lights and how you can use them “as normal” and save a LOT of money

http://www.ledenergy.co.za/products-globes.htm

Again I do not recommend the sight it is only for information
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

2. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (02-Mar-10)

Thanks
    Do SA homes still use incandescent light bulbs? Filament types?

I haven't seen one in SE Asia since I came here some 10 years back. The norm here is folded fluorescent, low energy bulbs.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes you will find them in workshops and some old homes. The truth is people don’t like the new type of globs because of the low quality light.

They are really bad on your eyes I still use the “old” globs for reading because the light is better and I feel my eyes is better for it. Yes they eat power but replacing my eyes can be more costly. Still I only use the “old” globs for reading.

I don’t know maybe it is all in the mind but I just enjoy reading with an old nice power hungry glob.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Here you will find a lot of info on LED lights and how you can use them “as normal” and save a LOT of money

http://www.ledenergy.co.za/products-globes.htm

Again I do not recommend the sight it is only for information
    Nice link for LED's. The biggest problem with LED's, apart from often being lower light output than CFL or filament, is the dimming issue. There are a few dimmable ones around but most aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Do SA homes still use incandescent light bulbs? Filament types?

I haven't seen one in SE Asia since I came here some 10 years back. The norm here is folded fluorescent, low energy bulbs.
    Filament lamps/bulbs/globes are outlawed in many countries but still alive and well in SA. I wouldn't be surprised to see legislation here though soon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nope a lot of people use these lights for their heat. Yes believe it or not it is still a good way to keep young chicks or other small birds alive.

There are not really a lot of alternatives at the moment. I just like the quality of bright light and it is really note worthy to say it is the better choice if electricity was still cheap.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    I am beginning to get the feeling that severe lifestyle adjustments are on their way in SA.

From what I'm seeing, SA has led a fairly sheltered existence over the past 10-15 years, while the rest of the world has grappled with ways to conserve energy. I suspect that this is for the good & that after the pains of change have subsided, that SA will be all the better for it.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now I wouldn’t say that... “You have the internet” familiarise yourself with what is going on before you say things like that. Right now we have been without water for about 48 hours. “No reason was given” our power systematically switches off at mid day and again in the afternoon. “We are not on load-shedding but still experience black outs.

We can do only so much. The links that I have provided will give an idea of the costs. Now to install a passive water system that will store a 1000 letters of water sounds good but there is a lot of things that people forget. That 1000 letters sounds like a lot of water but it is not. To go without water for about a week you need a lot more than that. Basic hygiene breaks down everything else goes with it.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    http://www.waterforafrica.co.za/prod...nd-systems.htm

http://www.jojotanks.co.za/index.php...&category_id=8

Again I do not recommend these sights and there is “Contact Us” links and getting prices is not that difficult. Depending on your needs it can go from R1600 up.

This is some of the solutions when we sit without water for about 5 days. There is some extreme storage systems for the people that has the space and the money.
    peace is a state of mind

10. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (03-Mar-10)

Thanks
    I am beginning to get the feeling that severe lifestyle adjustments are on their way in SA.
    I think any lifestyle adjustments will be because of utility infrastructure. I see load shedding becoming the norm again in the next few years and water supply in certain areas is already a major problem.

From what I'm seeing, SA has led a fairly sheltered existence over the past 10-15 years, while the rest of the world has grappled with ways to conserve energy.
    SA might be five years behind the first world in this respect. Until recently the government has had higher priority issues than energy conservation plus I think it suits the first world fine to have a dumping ground for the 'end of run' old technologies that can't be sold elsewhere.

12. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (05-Mar-10), desA (03-Mar-10), tec0 (03-Mar-10), wynn (03-Mar-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Now I wouldn’t say that... “You have the internet” familiarise yourself with what is going on before you say things like that.
    Ok, why I made the comment is that I've seen similar issues at play at both the developed & under-developed end of the international spectrum.

People are often conditioned to believe the world is coming to an end, when infrastructure begins to fall apart - especially if they are used to it as a part of everyday life. Sometimes we live luxurious lifestyles compared to other parts of the world. I have had the privilege of traveling through over 30 countries over the years. I'll bet you that, with all the hardships, SA is still a relative paradise.

When you've seen places where the people have little, or next to nothing, yet have survived - it makes an impression. There are always solutions to each of life's problems. We really do not need that much to be happy in life - honestly. In many ways, the changes in SA seem to bring it in line now, with parts of SE Asia. When things get really bad, an alternative way is found.

The simple ideas listed on this thread are great & will do a great deal to reduce the electricity bill. I really like the ideas about having water storage tanks, using rain-water, grey-water etc - this is good thinking.

Can you put a borehole in the garden, or well, & draw your own water? If there is a council bylaw prohibiting this, but they cannot guarantee steady water supply - then let them challenge you & carry on building it - its your land. It should not hold up in court.

These low-power lights are great - put them closer to the reading surface. Do you really need incandescant lights - no, I mean, really need them?

Electricity timers are great devices - turn off what you don't need at pre-set times.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast