Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just launched a new online company!

Thanks

Question Just launched a new online company!

Hi guys!

I started my first online company. I just need a little advice!
    It's lookitup.co.za.
    It's an easy way to share your company's info!

But how do you go about promoting an online business? I tried google adwords but only get bounce traffic. They leave on the home page
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

Theo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theokieza View Post
    They leave on the home page
    Any ideas?
    Hi Theo

Welcome to the forum.

Looked at the site. Apart from the signup page, I don't see any others, so chances are a visitor would leave from the home page.

Personally, if I need a phone number or address, I just google. Usually faster than me trying to focus on the fine print in the phone book.

You might want to think about running it as a free service until you have a client / listing base and regular referrals, then start charging for the service.

I just don't see anyone paying R500 for a "new on the web" service.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Hi,

The site is very simple and clean which is nice.
    But remember, users don't know what they want on that site, so they will just leave, because you give them no options or things to click on or narrow down or figure out what they want.

Good luck!

David

4. Thanks given for this post:

theokieza (26-Feb-10)

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas and honest critique guys!
    I think my whole purpose of the site is not coming across clearly, like defZA said. Maybe add a bit more information as to what the site is actually used for and what problem it is trying to solve?

Hmmm need a bit more inspiration

Thanks
    I agree with daveob. I think as a marketing strategy you need some promotional registrations and when the business is up and running you can then start charging people.

I also went to your website. I didnt find any link(or page) so I think that is why everybody just go to the homepage and then leave.

7. Thanks given for this post:

theokieza (26-Feb-10)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure what the little thought boxes at the bottom are supposed to mean ... "I'm here", "I'm bored" and especially "Yeah!!, I have..." ... I think they are a bit redundant ... I don't understand the message they are giving, and they just seem like empty space fillers.

I definitely say, let the first say 1000 companies register for 1 year for free, if you can get that many ... you are on the right track and can start charging.

Personally I can't justify R500 for a site that doesn't have a google rate as yet and I personally wouldn't pay to advertise. To give you an idea ... I pay R1000 a year to advertise on Oneshop premium listing ... for the first 2 years though, it was free ... now that they are massive, they started charging.
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

Thanks
    Thanks for the thoughts! I'm still a noob in the marketing side of things and how to approach online business. A real noob actually!

But got quite good programming skills

There's so many aspects and doing it on my own in my spare time.

I've found awesome resources on this forum and you guys really help!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Also the message about what problem the site solves is not being communicated clearly to the visitors. Something I need to fix

This site is not a business directory or advertising space. It's a web app that is trying to solve a problem

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theokieza View Post
    Also the message about what problem the site solves is not being communicated clearly to the visitors. Something I need to fix

This site is not a business directory or advertising space. It's a web app that is trying to solve a problem
    Explain? I thought it was a business directory where you can search for a company using any detail ... have I got it wrong?
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

Thanks
    Yep

You see when a customer phones you for your email address or BEE certificate, you always have to spell your email out to them and fax the certificate or email it to them, which means they then have to spell their email to you. And where I work I spell it almost 20 times a day! That's super frustrating!

I'm solving that with lookitup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast