Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fast zombie versus slow zombie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

fast zombie versus slow zombie

I'm a fan of zombie movies. The whole survival against all odds thing and my general enjoyment of horrors/comedies leads me towards both sides of the spectrum with zombie films.

But I digress. In zombie movies, you have two types of zombies.
    THE SLOW ZOMBIE
    these are slow re-animated living dead. freaky shiet.
    THE FAST ZOMBIE
    these run/sprint and devour. They tend to shamble about when there isn't fresh meat on the table, but get up to speed fast.

Since most zombie films show the zombies as devouring corpses because they're around instead of for sustenance, I think the slow zombie is more plausible. Sure, the zombie could be fast at the beginning. but once rigor mortis starts to set in, they should be struggling to move, and eventually they shouldn't be able to move at all.

what are your views?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well let us start with the type of zombie. First you get your good old living dead Sharman Zombie that looks like a corps and move like one but they are very strong when it comes to hitting stuff and at the same time they make a good all around mess if it gets hit it by a car.

Then you get your thinking Zombie it is able get past walls and electric wires but it is still slow moving and relentless especially if they get to a human.

Now as fiction allowed the Zombie to evolve you get your bio-mutated human zombie. Fast moving hard hitting and more importantly they have cognitive abilities that is translated into stalking, hunting and ambushing people at night like standing behind a door when the victim think the room is empty.

Still a Zombie movie always have that humour about it. All in good fun.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing the funny side of horror kinda defeats the object, doesn't it?

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (08-Feb-10)

Thanks
    I've pondered the zombie issue for many years but wouldn't usually bring up the subject in public. But, now you've mentioned it I have a few thoughts and can tell you it's no laughing matter. I even have a contingency plan ready for the day there's a zombie take-over....but I'll get to that in a minute.

Firstly the speed of zombie. I think zombies will always move slower than their live human counterparts, especially those benefiting from the adrenaline rush of seeing a zombie chasing them. The thing is that what zombies lack in speed and agility they make up for in stamina. Your common or garden zombie can keep up a steady 5 Kmh for days when in pursuit of its prey. I'm no expert but I suspect a recently fed zombie is probably faster than a malnourished one.

I reckon the cognitive or thinking mans zombie is just a figment of Hollywood's imagination. It's well know and widely accepted that zombies don't possess that kind of brain function, their actions stem from pre programmed responses at a genetic level similar to single cell organisms. It's their single mindedness that is their strength, without the constraints of fear and a conscience they are a formidable beast indeed.

Anyway my contingency plans are in place and have been for several years. My whole family, dog included, have a zombie suit. When the attack comes we all don the suits and head for safer territories. The crux or the plan is that if we don't talk and drool a lot whilst walking with a lumbering step we should go unnoticed and hopefully escape. It's not as easy as it sounds and takes practice so once a month we all do zombie drill to make sure we're all up to scratch with the procedure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dave A > Seeing the funny side of horror kinda defeats the object, doesn't it?

Well not really I love zombie movies and especially when stuff goes wrong for the humans. It is that much more interesting. But again I do like a Zombie movie with survivors. If everybody dies in a zombie movie the movie itself feels kind of useless.

Secondly, there will be slow moving zombies but nature is about speed the fastest animals are normally the victor. And zombies had to evolve to keep up with modern weaponry. Normally the phenomena causing the zombies to appear in the first place messes around with human genetics so zombie evolution is really feasible.

There fearlessness and "1 item" attention span is there strongest point. Staying focused on a target until they or the target dies is probably what gives the zombie its “fear-factor”

AndyD > Anyway my contingency plans are in place and have been for several years. My whole family, dog included, have a zombie suit.
    As for fooling a zombie? Chances are that they function on fresh meat and no matter how bad you smell there is a real difference between rotting flesh and something that is still alive. Based on their primitive nature I think smell is there main focus point.

Best way to deal with zombies is fire, chainsaw, explosives and a shotgun. Also a big armoured 4x4 is also a “nice to have” item.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post

As for fooling a zombie? Chances are that they function on fresh meat and no matter how bad you smell there is a real difference between rotting flesh and something that is still alive. Based on their primitive nature I think smell is there main focus point.
    You've never met my 14 year old Staffie, believe me a zombie won't know the difference between her and something long dead.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You've never met my 14 year old Staffie, believe me a zombie won't know the difference between her and something long dead.
    Sounds like a zombie spy if you ask me
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    being prepared is good. One thing we know zombies are deathly allergic to:

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (09-Feb-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well in the dire moment of desperation we as South Africans cannot buy a gun never mind having a few shotguns stashed in a safe ready for that apocalyptic day when the dead becomes the un-dead.

Still all South Africans have the born ability to improvise when the un-dead awakes. I recommend a few of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie 1.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	1113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zombie 2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	1114  
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As for fast zombies against slow zombies, got this little bit of info have a look at this. Its really interesting to see the fictional evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.