Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTN DATA BUNDLE COMPLAINT

Thanks

Angry MTN DATA BUNDLE COMPLAINT

This is a letter I sent to MTN today, hopefully i will receive a response soon.

Every month I do my utmost not to go over my 1GB data bundle, the main reason for that is the ridiculous prices I have to pay if I do.
    But ever since March 2009 it was impossible for me to ascertain the correct amount of data I have left. Since the software that comes with the modem can only give a rough estimate of data usage and MTN refuses to provide even the most basic of services regarding data usage for example: a sms when the bundle has only 10mb left.

For that reason I phoned MTN every third week of the month to determine how many I’ve got left. This proved highly effective and I was able to keep my costs down except when extra business demanded it.

The reason why this method failed me since March 2009 was that MTN could not provide me with accurate information regarding the amount of data that I have left. I had to fall back on the F@astlink Software that came with the modem but therein lies another problem. At the end of August I bought myself a new computer and from September to the beginning of November I had numerous problems with it. Faulty motherboard, Hard Drive Failure and viruses. Due to all this I was unable to establish how many data I’ve used and of course when I called the helpline I was told that I still have 2000mb remaining.
    I found that highly unlikely since I spent a lot of data on Antivirus updates, motherboard drivers, etc. It was then that the kind lady admitted that the system is not able to provide recent amounts and according to her system I haven’t used my modem at all for a good couple of months.

Please imagine my surprise when I got a account this month for
    R 2300. I would like to ask you to tell me in all honesty whether sending me an account for such an amount is fair and just after I did my utmost to keep my monthly expenses as low as possible using every means at my disposal.

I am sure you would agree that the fault lies not with me but with MTN as they should have provided me with a means to determine how many MB I still have left on my data bundle.

In all probability, this letter is as futile an effort to change the ways of MTN or get my money back as you could ever come across.

Therefore I would like to give to MTN absolute certainty that in the event that they refuses to refund me for the extra data they billed me, I will cancel my contract, never do business with them again and do my utmost to spread the word that others may prevent being in the same situation that I am now.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well sadly you are not the first with this type of problem. A friend of mine ended up paying a lot of money for the server provider’s mistakes.

Get a detailed bill from MTN and pinpoint the time and date that you phoned them. At this point in time it is good to know that all your conversations are recordered. So if you have the date and time they can find out if you are telling the truth of not.

Secondly go to the consumer council and make formal case against MTN “TIP: keep your statement short and keep a copy” Inform MTN that you have a formal complaint against them. From the consumer council’s side they will be able to get the recordings and you will be able to build your case from towards a criminal case against MTN.

Right if MTN cannot provide the recordings opt to point out that they are withholding information and move towards a criminal case stating that MTN has withheld and possibly destroyed valuable evidence. “TIP: Keep constant pressure on the consumer council and make sure they keep you up to date”

Now if all goes well you will get your money back within 2 months. “But that is a BIG “IF”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Just stumble upon this site:

http://www.getclosure.co.za/view.php...ing=1&Letter=0

They rate how each complaint is handled and sadly although not surprisingly Telkom and MTN has the worst rating.

So the hope of getting my money back just went bungee jumping without any cables.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is because they think they are always right. Let me tell you one thing. Take it from me if you don’t they will just do it again as simple as that. Go and file that complaint give "them" as much sh!t as you possibly can.

Right now MTN is smiling with your R2300 that was effectively stole from YOU! Did what I did and make it personal just make sure you cover every possible detail and put our consumer council and carte-blanche-consumer to work.

Even if you do fail it doesn’t really matter it is about pride... and it is about standing up for yourself.

So just do it. Give them HELL!

And if nothing else, it will make for a good story.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    I agree that MTN should have an accurate mechanism in place to enable you to ascertain how much bandwidth or how many megs you have used at any given time. It's actually appalling that they don't.

That said, to be brutally honest you signed a contract with them saying that if you used the bandwidth you must just pay through the nose accordingly. If you had virii, worms or trojans this would account for high bandwidth just with the internet traffic they generate and then probably large updates for your AV software etc which can run into dozens of megs as well. I can guarantee you that nowhere in that contract will there be any mention of the quality or continuity of service that they in turn should provide. In fact usually quite the opposite, there will probably be a long list of disclaimers saying how they are not to be held liable if their service is defective, broken, missing or downright unreliable.

Looking on the bright side, I don't think any of the other service providers are any better, which ever one you use you would still be grabbing your ankles in a situation like this.

Thanks
    Sounds like the SA monopolies are at it, yet again.

It there any service provider in SA that has unlimited bandwidth at a flat monthly rate?

This is standard practice in Asia, btw.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The combination of a lack of accurate disclosure and the punitive premium for going over your bundle must surely constitute a harmful business practice.

At the very least, MTN should be obliged to charge in-bundle rates until they get their data-usage-reporting situation sorted out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The truth is our service provider wants to keep their systems as dodgy as possible. Imagine the money they are making on this out of bundle BS? This is no longer a conspiracy bad service is acceptable if you earn a lot of money and own the monopoly.

The only way you will change their minds is if the public can generate a single voice saying F*uck you telecommunications industry! You have destroyed enough lives and blacklisted enough people! Now the public demand that their licences be cancelled until such time that they can provide a proper service.

Once this is done our service providers will value their customers again. The honest truth is that the public better take control because right now our service providers can do whatever they want and it is clear in the billing system.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Strategising a Movement.

The truth is that mass action gets attention. So if I had a bit of cash flow and a good lawyer on my side I would demand a public complaints hearing. It can start with mass newspapers publications that will spell out all concerns the public has and even allow the public to voice their troubles.

Then register for a mass-protests against the telecommunications industry. Set a date for your mass-protest and hand your concerns and demands over to parliament on this set date. This along with peaceful protest will force government to take note and if your demands are within reason like: Better control over your cap. More accurate cap software and better more accurate service from the provider. I am sure that they will see this is not unreasonable...

Give it a dead-line and if the telecommunications industry do not comply. Then continue with a second mass-protest. This time you demand that there licensing be stripped. “Look I know it will never happen but if you get enough angry people you will see change.

See corporations like the telecommunications industry forget that the power is still with the people and if we say enough is enough we can force them to listen!
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    I can't help thinking that the the cost of the license from the government is the main reason that we're paying through the ass for what are considered essential services in most first world countries. That and probably the prohibitive regulations in the license agreements themselves.

The poor service and ridiculous business practices are a separate issue/debacle entirely. ICASA has consistently proved itself to be ineffective. You have the minister of communications Siphiwe Nyanda trying to step in to broker a deal with the networks and do ICASA's job for then. Meanwhile the cellphone companies are trying to dictate legislation in the form of their draft agreement they submitted a few days ago which says that reviewing mobile termination rates won't be necessary until March 1 2013.

None of this bodes well for the customer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast