Thread: Importing 101

Thanks

Importing 101 (Import regulations and customs taxes)

Hi,

I'm moving back to South Africa finally, after living in London for 4 years.

I am trying to setup a business importing DVDs into South Africa. I have had moderate success running my business in London but since all of my stock was sourced locally, I have never had to deal with importing nuances.

Basically I don't have the first clue on what is required from me now that I am setting up in South Africa but will source my stock internationally. What sort of import taxes/customs levies I would pay, who I need to help me (I've been reading up on "clearing agents" but can't really figure out what exactly they do), what laws I need to be aware of etc...

If anyone could help me out with some answers or perhaps point me in the direction of a web resource I would be much obliged.

I've tried researching the topic this week but everything I can find is geared towards large-scale international companies importing metal and textiles etc... There doesn't seem to be much easily understandable literature geared towards small start-up companies importing cheap goods. And trying to get the Dept of Trade and Industry just to answer the phone is proving harder than I expected.

Let me know if you need any info!

Cheers.
    Last edited by alm; 03-Feb-10 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Adding detail to the title

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alm View Post
    And trying to get the Dept of Trade and Industry just to answer the phone is proving harder than I expected.
    Would that be the trade mission in London, or are you trying to contact the DTI here in South Africa?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Would that be the trade mission in London, or are you trying to contact the DTI here in South Africa?
    That's the South African one. I've tried calling the number listed on the website, so perhaps that is out of date.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ahh! I see you're already in Capetown. Pity, I suspect as an "investor" into South Africa you might have got reasonable assistance at the London embassy.

The other option to try would be SARS - they're the ones who levy the import duties. There's a call centre number on www.sars.gov.za you could try and I know that one at least gets answered.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Ahh! I see you're already in Capetown. Pity, I suspect as an "investor" into South Africa you might have got reasonable assistance at the London embassy.

The other option to try would be SARS - they're the ones who levy the import duties. There's a call centre number on www.sars.gov.za you could try and I know that one at least gets answered.
    I am actually still in London for another 10 days. That's a really great idea. I'll try get hold of them and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good luck!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    good luck