Thread: Importing 101

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Importing 101 (Import regulations and customs taxes)

Hi,

I'm moving back to South Africa finally, after living in London for 4 years.

I am trying to setup a business importing DVDs into South Africa. I have had moderate success running my business in London but since all of my stock was sourced locally, I have never had to deal with importing nuances.

Basically I don't have the first clue on what is required from me now that I am setting up in South Africa but will source my stock internationally. What sort of import taxes/customs levies I would pay, who I need to help me (I've been reading up on "clearing agents" but can't really figure out what exactly they do), what laws I need to be aware of etc...

If anyone could help me out with some answers or perhaps point me in the direction of a web resource I would be much obliged.

I've tried researching the topic this week but everything I can find is geared towards large-scale international companies importing metal and textiles etc... There doesn't seem to be much easily understandable literature geared towards small start-up companies importing cheap goods. And trying to get the Dept of Trade and Industry just to answer the phone is proving harder than I expected.

Let me know if you need any info!

Cheers.
    Last edited by alm; 03-Feb-10 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Adding detail to the title