Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan Circulating the Market

Silver Member
    Thanks

Trojan Circulating the Market

Apparently a virus named Trojan.Peacomm is going wild over the net. And as far as I can tell, not many Anti Virus programs have a fix for it, especialy not the free ones.

Apparently it arrives in emails with news type topics or the standard Re: type topic. It has a file attached, that, when run, installs the virus.

Here's the full report, worth reeding through even if you don't have it yet.

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...403-99&tabid=2
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Watchout for something telling you, you have a post card...I have had 3 trojan and 3 worm hits since yesterday..
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I loaded a new anti-virus program on Candy's computer yesterday morning. She's already managed to collect five viruses in her quarantine box.

What can I say she's a virus magnet.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    lol... well at least you protected.

But careful to those that dont have protection or a decent antivirus... i feel im going to be getting alot of calls soon
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    I always run AVG as an anti virus and Zone Alarm as a firewall. Zone Alarm asks if a new program that tries to access the internet should be allowed access. So if any Trojans get past AVG, it can be blocked from accessing the net by Zone Alarm. One useful thing about this is that even though it might be running, it doesn't get access and can't be exploited. Then you also know about it before any damage is done and can do something to remove it!
    Make money by referring hosting clients to us.
    No sign up fees, no minimum monthly quotas, great earning potential!
    Click here for more info...

Thanks
    Dave do we have this?
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes and no. AVG yes. Zone Alert no. However, there is an app running for firewall protection similar to Zone Alert - just can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

The weakness in firewall apps like Zone Alert is that they report that something's trying to communicate out. It doesn't help if the user allows the communication. And there has to be the potential for a malicious script to disguise itself as a request from a legitimate program.

The tool is only useful if the user has a reasonable sense of what should and should not be happening.

Thanks
    Windows Defender is also a reasonable tool for keeping track of things trying to mess with your registry. Unfortunately again, this requires the user to have an idea what to expect.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Sorry to come in so abruptly but to be honest i need to "educate" you all about how things work in an online environment.

It doesnt matter what Antivirus you are running or firewall..... if you arnt literate enough to not click on an attachement that is a zip/exe/bat or anything of the sorts you are going to be getting a virus/spyware/trojan.

The problem with these types of issues comes from the fact that the error lyes between the keyboard and the chair

Let me explain to you how a firewall works.

The best firewalls are passive ones..... all ports are closed naturally and when you within your network require a connection it asks you and opens the port. Where as services that run on the pc could open up the ports without prior permission.

On a note.... zone alarm... isnt very effective in my opinion.

AVG is also a problem atm as its not coping with the New threats being released. Avg is usually about 4-5 days behind Symantec. In this time you could have picked up the bug and it has done its job.

My personal experience in the IT industry has taught me 1 thing.... no product is 100% efficient.
    In saying that its being proactive and using software that reduces the amount of bugs and attacks.

I personally use the following

Windows Firewall (firewall 1)
    Sygate Personal Firewall (firewall2) For those services that think they can use windows sublets to gain access
    AVG Antivirus
    AVG Antispyware (when required)
    And personal Intellect.

I have to date had some minor spyware issues of which i could count on 1 hand.

If you not sure or dont understand... ask and ill provide the info where i can.

Thanks
    Maybe just to give a different perspective to the keyboard->chair problem...

One of the things that I've often seen is that people indiscriminately open emails and click through to websites without thinking about the possible implications. I think there should be tools that help you as much as possible, but there are a few basic precautions that you can take.

Think about it in the same way as you would think about being in a strange city that you know has a high crime rate. If you're walking around suburbia and there are children playing in the street you know you are relatively safe. If you decide to go down a dark alley in the middle of the night you are just asking for trouble.

So here are some simple pointers,

• Don't even open an email if you think it looks suspicious. You can check the email that it comes from before opening it - if you don't recognise it then consider turfing it. Also, turn off the preview pane of your mail client (no automatic opening)
    • Check the link before clicking on it. If you put your mouse over the link the actual web address it will direct you to is shown in the bottom status bar, check that they match or at least make sense. e.g. text says FNB internet banking, actual link is to "www.imgoingtostealyourmoneyandmakeyoucry.com"
    • Be careful with email jokes/forwards and so on. Crackers/worm writers and so forth often disguise their worms and so forth is cute and cuddly or funny emails. Be careful before you click that link, open that joke, etc.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.