Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trojan Circulating the Market

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
    The problem with these types of issues comes from the fact that the error lyes between the keyboard and the chair
    The real challenge here is temptation and curiosity. It's akin to the relationship between moths and flames. I know folks who know they shouldn't be opening strange files from unknown souces, but they do it anyway because they just have to know.

Thanks
    Personally I'm not to worried about what that kind of person does to their personal PC, but if someone clicks away regardless of the consequences in a work environment that can mean days of fixing their PC, and trying to recover lost work. It's their downtime, plus someone else's time to repair the computer...and if it spreads across the network...eish

Practically, how do people deal with this in a work environment? (other than having anal retentive IT people who only allow you to read emails that they approve of)
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    Practically, how do people deal with this in a work environment? (other than having anal retentive IT people who only allow you to read emails that they approve of)
    Don't tempt me.

A simple solution but expensive solution is to set up email and internet communication connectivity (EICC and pronounced eish ) on a seperate network system to a finance, admin and document (FAD) handling system. Traffic from the FAD network to the internet would be purely outbound, such as emailing invoices etc. and passed through a software and hardware firewall into the wild internet world. No incoming requests accepted. And kiss VPN goodbye.

Exposure to incoming would then be restricted to the less critical EICC systems. And when someone says eish, my computer is broken, we can do a one button flush and reset of the entire EICC system.

I can see the corporate beancounter being a bit peeved, though.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Its called a proper mail program that can strip the email attachements out of it. email programs can strip what you tell it to.

No attachment ... no virus
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's fine and well. But sometimes those attachments are important documents. Admittedly probably the minority of attachments, but not suitable for a ruthless cull nonetheless. Solvable, Snoopy?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hey Dave,

just came back from a conference in CPT and all i can say is WOW.

There are devices out by Symantec that can do exactly that dave. Strip the spam and leave the normal mail intact. Success rate of 99%

Very good product.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.