Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Give For Life

Email problem
    Thanks
    True but would you rather receive 100% of R1000 from 1 person or 20% that will lead to R147 609 as example above? Not enough people support charities. That's the big problem. With this its a way to get more people to support charities because most people are just looking out for number one.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    There we go then. Why don't you donate your time for free? This would be incredibly generous.

I'd also remind you that the current financial crisis began with a number of legal financial instruments. Look where it all ended up.

I do apologise if I've hurt your feelings, but, boy oh boy, I've seen this kind of scheme in action in so many flavours. The end result is always the same.
    I do give my time free Why do you think I joined a mlm that support charity and not just my own pocket?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hane View Post
    True but would you rather receive 100% of R1000 from 1 person or 20% that will lead to R147 609 as example above? Not enough people support charities. That's the big problem. With this its a way to get more people to support charities because most people are just looking out for number one.
    These incremental vacuum pipelines only serve the pockets of the vacuum pipe operators. This is a scam. I am astonished that you have the gall to continue your salespitch.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I'm not pitching, do realise that I would like to see more money going to the charity and less to the pockets of the agents but for me its swallowing the bitter pill to get more money to the charity. Do you know that some charities are so desperate for money that they would get a sms short code that is charged at R15 and they only receive R6? They are so desperate for money that that every cent help. Do you think that if I go around and asked everyone to donate R189 to an animal charity that lots of people would give? Tell them that they can make money out of it then more people are interested? Its sad but very true.

Thanks
    Ok, Hane. I'll bow out of your pitch now, else it will just continue on its trajectory.

Were this a telephone call, I'd have cut in the first 5 seconds...
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Email problem
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the total admin cost including the MLM incentive came to under 30% I'd have no particular complaint. If that total admin cost was under 50% I'd be only mildly cynical. At 80% towards "costs" I confess my BS detectors are so inflamed it's extremely difficult to take seriously the claim that this is motivated by charity.
    Give for life is endorsed by several celebrities namely:
    · Victor Matfield
    · Ryk Neethling
    · Arnold Geerdts
    · John-Laffnie de Jager
    · Heinz & Alette Winckler
    · Hykie Berg
    · Bala Brothers
    · Altus Theart
    · Andrew Thompson
    · Zetske van Pletzen
    You wouldn't happen to have scanned copies of those letters of endorsement by any chance? And are these good folk aware that only 20% of the proceeds goes to charities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Is there a tax angle here?
    By my understanding of tax legislation, there is zero prospect of this being seen as a tax deductible donation to charity by the taxman. Also it can't be a registered charity because a minimum of 70% has to go to charity (from memory - could be out by a bit, but certainly not 50% out). Given the structure, you'd stand a better chance claiming your contribution as a business expense towards this MLM "charity fundraising" business.
    I do give my time free Why do you think I joined a mlm that support charity and not just my own pocket?
    Charity first, right? The problem with that is when you say...
    Do you think that if I go around and asked everyone to donate R189 to an animal charity that lots of people would give? Tell them that they can make money out of it then more people are interested? Its sad but very true.
    ...you're arguing against yourself. Rationalisation is an amazing thing.

I'm amazed the Law Review Project gave this the thumbs up as not being a pyramid scheme (frankly I'm sceptical they've even looked at this aspect). For starters it fails the product test. This seems little more than a classic pyramid scheme with a very flimsy charity wrapper for camoflage.

If anyone goes for it, please admit at least to yourself it's not because you're all come over with feeling charitable - you're doing it for the money. If you were doing it for charity, you'd be giving the money straight to the Community Chest, Gift of the Givers, Red Cross etc.

Personally I think the best thing about this scheme is it demonstrates so wonderfully what "making a positive contribution to society" has descended to in South Africa nowadays.

Email problem
    Thanks
    You can have a look at their video presentation where all these celebs voice their opinions. http://www.hefty.co.za/fundraising

The reason behind if you tell people that they can make money out of it is that R2 is better then no Rand. They money that the charities receive is more then they would have so why not use peoples needs for extra income to help charities. I would donate a lot of the money that I make back to charity directly. It opens up my time to volunteer more while I can earn a living I can help charities.

The thing for me is that charities aren't getting donations so this opens up the door for more people to donate where they wouldn't have.

Peoples greed earns money for charity. Why should they spend the time that they would have on another mlm which would only benefit them and the organisation when they do the same and charities benefit. Don't tell me that people could go and donate money from their earning because they don't.

Thanks

The reason behind if you tell people that they can make money out of it is that R2 is better then no Rand. They money that the charities receive is more then they would have so why not use peoples needs for extra income to help charities.

Peoples greed earns money for charity. .
    I could not resist!

Yes R2 is better than R0, isnt it so dandy that you can now earn money off other peoples "donations" to "charity".

And the fact that "Peoples greed earns money for charity" isnt this a bit of an oxymoron? Like "Creative Accounting", or "Deafening Silence".

I like to consider myself open minded, however a mlm based on charitable donations. Its just suger coating for money changing hands and based on how much passes by your hands you take some.
    The worst is that charities that need money, are possibly getting there R2. But a few other people/organisations are taking a fat cut along the way.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I'm not going to try and make anyone see why I would join a mlm like this or why they should. I know why I did it! Not everyone is going to do it for the same reasons, not everyone is going to understand why I can see it as very beneficial to charities. Yes I would prefer that everyone that joins or have a problem with the concept go and donate but they wont. I dont see the money that gets spent on the expenses I only see what the charities get and that can be a lot, a lot that they DID NOT receive before.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast