Thread: Politics and civil servants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Politics and civil servants

Recently Jacob Zuma suggested civil servants shouldn't hold leadership positions in political parties and that the ANC policy of making political deployments in the civil service should be reviewed.

Personally I was cheering (although I don't hold much hope of it actually coming to pass any time soon ). However, SAMWU really doesn't like the idea.
    African National Congress (ANC) president Jacob Zuma's remarks about municipal workers holding leadership positions in political parties has "disturbed" the South African Municipal Workers' Union (Samwu).

Zuma's comments were "part of a concerted effort to depoliticise and de-unionise the public service, which could be disastrous for the country and the working class", the union said in a statement on Wednesday.

It would discuss the matter with the ANC's leadership, offering it an opportunity to "clarify or apologise" for the Zuma's comments.
    full story from M&G here
    What is SAMWU's problem? To my mind the civil service should have been apolitical in the first place. It's supposed to serve all citizens, not just the party faithful.

How on earth could this be disastrous for the country - or the working class for that matter?

Thanks
    Hmmm! judging by the size of his wives we won't be loosing the "Civil Servant Shuffle" soon then???
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Recently Jacob Zuma suggested civil servants shouldn't hold leadership positions in political parties and that the ANC policy of making political deployments in the civil service should be reviewed.

Personally I was cheering (although I don't hold much hope of it actually coming to pass any time soon ). However, SAMWU really doesn't like the idea.

What is SAMWU's problem? To my mind the civil service should have been apolitical in the first place. It's supposed to serve all citizens, not just the party faithful.

How on earth could this be disastrous for the country - or the working class for that matter?
    Possibly handouts for not striking/striking strategically going to evaporate?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect SAMWU's real concern is that without the option of playing politics, civil servants are actually going to have to be competent at their jobs.

How many incompetents are actually being sheltered because of their political connections?