Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The state of education in South Africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The state of education in South Africa

Matric results are out, and the pass rate is down

But this indicates the larger trend:
    The overall pass rate dropped 2 percentage points to 60.7 percent, meaning that since 2004 the pass rate has fallen 10 percentage points. This is despite a fifth of the national budget being spent on education - far higher than the international norm.
    full story from Business Report here
    In the interests of accuracy, the pass rate was actually down 1.8%, and more people are doing maths and science which is supposed to be tougher subjects (something I never understood personally as these were my "easy" ones, but I guess we've all got different talents).

But a 10% drop in pass rate since 2004! And it's not as if we're not spending the money!

So what is it then? Teacher quality? Bad management? Bad leadership? Bad students?

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Matric results are out, and the pass rate is down

But this indicates the larger trend:

In the interests of accuracy, the pass rate was actually down 1.8%, and more people are doing maths and science which is supposed to be tougher subjects (something I never understood personally as these were my "easy" ones, but I guess we've all got different talents).

But a 10% drop in pass rate since 2004! And it's not as if we're not spending the money!

So what is it then? Teacher quality? Bad management? Bad leadership? Bad students?
    If we wanted to be really accurate we would need to factor in the facts that the exams or standards are lower, hence matric has actually become easier.
    i think all your reasons are valid - but perhaps an interesting statistic would be to invetsigate the attendance records of those who failed.
    Furthermore, the habit of passing pupils or putting students through in the earlier and fromative years, is a practice taht is not in the interest of the students.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Improvement will only be seen five years after they realise that increased matriculation numbers start with better educated, examined and promoted grade 8,9.10,11's and of course 12's

Matriculation is a ticket to study at university, grade 12 (old std 10) is a school leaving certificate which some pass and others don't and is only good for some trades and techs.

I was asked to leave school at the end of std 9 because my and 20% of the rest of the class's continued attendance would skew the schools perfect pass rate achieved in std 10 senior certificate and matriculation results.

Better than a 'Boere Matric' (JC, std 8) but not good enough.

When my youngest did "Matric" as grade 12 (std 10) is referred to these days he passed on less than I learned for and failed in old std 9.

There is no doubt that a sharp movement to the right of the graph happens every year.

Soon the only requirement for "Matric" will be attendance at the exam, won't qualify you for anything, but at least you won't feel like a loser.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

4. Thanks given for this post:

tonyflanigan (12-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for awaking my past. I happen to be one of those losers that never finished school.

Education, the act of bestowing knowledge trough the curriculum by means of books, teachers and faculties. The students are our future as humanity, they are our children and we wish to give them the best possible education.

Well the truth is; not all are born as equals some takes longer to understand the system then others and the pain the "lesser" has to go through still brings tears to my eyes. So your child must go to school to be measured by system and if found lacking discarded and then forced to go to a lesser system that is “les challenging” for them. This BS will then follow the lesser person to their graves staining their minds with stagnant memories.

School was never a good place for children between 1940 to 2010 and regardless of what has been said schooling as a system will fail more and more people because of the quality of education and the systems used to measure children.

Now how do we improve education? Simple but down the books and give every child a computer. Educate them trough modern audio and video media. The human mind is better at remembering sounds and pictures because it is how we interact with the world by default. Secondly allow children to work in factories and hospitals from a young age. Practical workshops are an effective educational tool and it adds incentive.

Fact is education works best if the person understands the meaning of the education in question. The only way to do this is to allow them to experience the other side of education. The “doing” as it is, will prove to them that they are and will be capable to function. We have the technology so it is time to use it...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

6. Thanks given for this post:

tonyflanigan (12-Jan-10)

Thanks
    I've always found education to be a bit weird, especially with regards to motivation. by grade 10, you're starting to feel like you've been in the system forever and just want to get out. Your way of getting out is matric. Matric used to stand for something, but now it is effectively the same as completing an intense game and having a banner that says "you win the game." When you have completed your Matric and passed out of the high school system, all you have is a slip of paper that doesn't describe what jobs you are capable of, just that you have skills in a multitude of areas.

In recent years, a matric certificate has almost become as worthless as a bog roll. When I left school in 2005(I think, I've honestly lost track), I didn't even think of trying to find work. I knew that would be hopeless, unless I wanted to become a waiter or something.

Anyway, this all comes back to incentive. There is none. You've been in the system for 12 years. You want to get out. Once you do, you have to go back in to study on a specific career path. Teachers affect results, as does course material and mental ability. But I honestly believe incentive plays a big roll in this.

Ideally, schools should offer courses specific to where the learner WANTS TO GO.

8. Thank given for this post:

tec0 (12-Jan-10), tonyflanigan (12-Jan-10)

Thanks
    I feel the problem is not only with the learners (pupils), but also with the system. Several educators (teachers, in the old language, just to keep Wynn in the loop here (Hi Wynn!)) have complained bitterly to us about the Dept Bosses, curricula, and (lack of discipline) discipline.

OBE was instituted to enable PDA individuals to be able to get through the system, but its not working, 'cos the forementioned 'bosses', are too busy not doing what the taxpayer is paying them to do. My daughter matriculated 2 years ago, and was the first intake of sub-A's, aah damn, grade 1's, to do the entire 12 yrs with OBE. There were plenty of wobblies and hiccups, but she made it. I must add that discipline, by which I mean punishment for offences, and reward for achievement, were a strong feature at her school. Also, and I don't think this was strictly according to the books, her teachers were instructed to penalise non-participating members in group projects.

Education should be about teaching, not politics, and unfortunately politics is happening in the education system.

In my opinion, re-introduce corporal punishment, and the old way of teaching.
    I'm one of the T's from TnT Unleashed Web design, photography and writing services
    http://www.1pic4twenty.co.za

10. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (13-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well the worst thing a system can do is to give teachers the ability to scare a student with a “record” system. It was proven in good old America that female teachers will give male students bad records just because they have PMS.

It is proven that male teachers will be “less” severe on some female students and more to others just based on how attractive they are?

So what do you do?? Well look at the more successful schools in the world. Monitoring systems, discipline via sports and other activities. Yes there are working systems that will allow for children to be educated properly but it will take good leadership and a sound understanding of discipline and to implement a proper monitoring system. The question is can our government do that??? Well it is a damn good question.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    And when it comes to exams, offer a choice, open book pass mark 90% closed book pass mark 33.3% if you haven't done the work you won't pass cause you won't know the work or where to look for the answers.

My problem is not with understanding most things, it is with remembering it.
    I know I could never be an airline pilot, cause you need instant memory recall when the s#!t hits the fan, on the other hand I could be a psychiatrist because after listening to the patient, I would know how and where to research the symptoms, make an educated diagnosis and make the correct recommendations for treatment.
    I don't believe that a brain surgeon, doing an unusual operation, will go into the operating theatre without first reaquainting himself by researching the relevant information for the area of the brain to be operated on??? would he?????
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well I can recall every sound I hear, it is a true gift “not to brag” but if my mom read my work out loud for me I got like 90% on my tests but if I had to read it myself I cannot for the life of me remember a damn thing.

The point is it is deferent for every single one of us... If I had an available system back in the day that could read for me like computers can today MAN OH MAN my life would have been so very deferent today.

Trust me education must start working WITH technology... it is a good place to start.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks

"And when it comes to exams, offer a choice, open book pass mark 90% closed book pass mark 33.3%"

Are you not assuming a somewhat inflated literary ability Wynn?
    I'm one of the T's from TnT Unleashed Web design, photography and writing services
    http://www.1pic4twenty.co.za

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast