Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Control bandwidth usage of staff

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well in my book you if you consider Telkom as your provider you do so because there is no real competition or alternative. Not even the devil got that one right... So it is true Telkom is and will forever be the ONLY telecommunication entity powerful enough to actually give you some sort of service not a good service but it is not like you have options.

I feel cheated because government wants to control every aspect of communication but it is not enough they want to control all the money that is generated of it and a Telkom GP phone is now more expensive then a mobile contract and prices is just going up and up. I unplugged my phone and still ended up with a bill of over R210 excluding VAT for something I didn’t even use! Well shows you Telkom is not your friendly telecommunications provider.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    I have 6 staff members with some of them abusing my internet facility.
    ( Facebook, Surfing, emails to zillions of friends etc. ) And all this during work time !
    Does anybody know of a software program I can install that can monitor the situation and preferably something where I can give each person a quota.
    I have both a wireless ISP ( WiFi connection ) and an ADSL line so by just putting limits on the router ( If that can be done ! ) would not solve the problem.
    I would prefer a program I can install on my PC that can do the monitoring for the whole network and so I can set the limits. I do not want to install software on the staff PCs as they will find ways around that. ( All PCs connect directly to the net )

I have googled but not sure if I see anything that would work for me.

It would obviously have to be something that looks at the IP address of the PCs concerned and then monitor the usage and apply a quota.

Come on.........put your thinking caps on !!!!!!!!!!!!
    As suggested a written company policy and I would just check the router logs manually.

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Right, restore point not available? What about the safe mode function? You can roll back on that menu?? Before the OS even stats AND more importantly what kind of a tech does life testing! My word man! You get a computer and set it up for testing THEN only do you start playing with stuff! That is like 101 for computers NEVER play with a live network, servers or policies if you don’t know the tech or software....

well Google Sun Vitrual-Box it is free and it acts like a real computer.

You can do testing with it and more importantly it allows you to just “make a new image” if something goes wrong. I am using it to talk to you right now!! JIP this is a virtual computer I use to run on the net because of viruses and all kinds of bad stuff. And it works extremely well.
    Sandboxie is an invaluable free tool for web browsing and testing unknown programs and scripts. It's pretty bullet proof and easier than setting up a virtual machine for testing.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (20-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Ok, This is how I fixed the problem:
    I installed Browse Control V 3.4 ( and paid for it +- R 1200 ). This program gives my TOTAL control over all/any of the PCs i.e. Access time to internet, Access or no access. Which sites can be accessed or blocked, which applications can be blocked/allowed on any of the PCs ( No games or Facebook), I can even prevent access to the CD drive. So it is very versatile.
    I allow only work related applications, so now it is only work, work, work.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Ok, This is how I fixed the problem:
    I installed Browse Control V 3.4 ( and paid for it +- R 1200 ).
    Just some feedback........had a couple of issues but working well now. ( Now v4.0.0.7 )
    Some technical aspects........... the program gets installed on any PC ( the bosses ) and all the other PCs get a client service installed which can only be uninstalled with a password and the service cannot be manipulated by the client to turn it on or off. So they are st***ed.
    From the console one can now allow or disallow many URLs and applications, so yes.......works for me !
    Money well spent.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Dec-10)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123