Hi all, I'm new to the forum and joined specifically to ask for some opinions and your interpretations on the new EIR's.

So here goes:

The way I understand it, the regulations seems to aim to prevent anyone who is not a registered person, or supervised full time by a registered person, from undertaking any electrical work (reg. 6(1), 6(4)(b) and 5(4)).

That seems fair for new installations and commercial electrical work. I'm just wondering what this implies for all those 'bakkie' contractors doing fencing, pool pumps, plumbers installing geysers, etc. Also what happens if I replace or install my own pool pump, or install some new lights on the stoep. BTW I'm a millwright so I should be able to install a pool pump or some lights, as is many, many DIY'ers with more or less adequate skills to perform their own electrical work who are not regestered persons.

I realize that some or all of these regulations are not new, I was just reading it now because it was updated and these questions came to mind. Reg. 6(4)(b) combined with 5(4) implies that you can't get a registered person after the work has been done to test and certify it though, which I think is a new development or at least not the norm in the industry at the moment.

What are your responses?

PS: Moderator, if you think this should be a new thread plase move it or let me know and I'll repost.