Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who may work on an electrical installation?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by douw View Post

So that leaves the "control" can of worms Dave mentioned above. That is what is not defined clearly in the regs. and that is what needs to be clarified, regardless of current convention.
    The "general control" clause as published in the government gazette, 6 March 2009 is actually very clear on that issue: "in relation to electrical installation work that is being carried out, includes instruction, guidance and supervision in respect of that work."

Not really a grey area, if you sign off a CoC and did not instruct, guide and supervise (the wording of the clause is "includes"), you cannot legally sign off a coc, and if it can be proven that you have signed off a coc and not exercised the "general control" required, that coc is invalid.

Fitting a piece of conduit and saddles unfortunately is installation work, so is fitting a gland to an inspection box. If it was not supervised, you would be breaking the law.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    The "general control" clause as published in the government gazette, 6 March 2009 is actually very clear on that issue: "in relation to electrical installation work that is being carried out, includes instruction, guidance and supervision in respect of that work."
    I would argue this, it is still grey... Instructions is an "order"/"request"/"demand" that you make to someone and they must respond in a form i.e. doing work, an instruction can even be a written document.

Guidance....if you show up every minutes or so, check what they've done, show them how to correct the mistake and see them do it right, you have supervised as well as taught/guided. If a person is "untrainable", then they must do work that is repetitive only, with minimal possibility for error.

Supervision can be any given time or level. If you return to find something wrong, then instruct and guide the labourers how to do it right, and it is done right there and then, you have supervised.

Think of an operator on a hazardous installation, busy working on a piece of machinery (I use this example seeing I were in the explosive manufacturing business for 8 years). He merely has a std.8 /9 /10 certificate. He is working on a machine that is so hazardous the smallest mistake will take himself, others and the building out. The explosives act calls for training, guidance, supervision etc. If you constantly stand and monitor this person, you are no longer a supervisor, rather an operator, as you are constantly at his place of work, helping and assisting him. This being said, why do you keep him on then, let him go and do the work yourself.....once all the contractors do that, and 10 000 labourers are out of work, you'll see a clearer definition...

A new guy, yes he needs 100% supervision. When he learns more 80% and so on. As long as you inspect all the work done and correct it, I believe you supervised what was needed.
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Apr-10 at 12:47 PM.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Thanks
    Exactly my point. General Control.

Example: If you do an inspection on an existing installation, and found that part to comply with clause 5, general safety principles, and the extensions or alterations effected complies with sans1014-1, how does the law make it possible to issue a coc in terms of reg. 9. (2) (c)?

No general control was exercised on the extensions or alterations of the said installation. It was extended or altered before you inspected the installation by someone you don't even know.

In my opinion you can only issue a coc according to reg 9. (2) (b). The only clause which excludes the "general control". But then you would have to exclude all alterations and extensions on the installation, which defies the purpose of the coc.

If a CoC is issued as per reg. 9. (2) (a) or (c) on an existing installation, the letter of the law would invalidate that CoC.

Except if you remove all alterations and extensions and re-install them under your general control... ;-)
    Last edited by 123; 15-Apr-10 at 07:01 AM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I don't understand.....Section 5 on the coc is all I worry about as far as new and existing installation goes... if its an existing house i fill in the "who did the test bit" sec 5.4. If i fixed faults and replaced some items 5.2 material spec and 5.4 test, where material spec drops down further referring to section 3, where you specify "house- new stove cable, new light cable in bedroom etc...." That is it. In all these sections they talk about to the best of your knowledge. As far as the best of my knowledge goes I was the reasonable man, I'll sleep well tonight because I don't take chances, and I will stand in court if I have to. The COC to my knowledge is a summary of the law, and a legal contract. If that piece of document says "to the best of your knowledge" then to hell with any other documents
    IJS Installations

Thanks
    Apologies, I was referring to clause 5 in the new sans10142-1, which contains the general safety principles applicable to electrical installations.

Which is one of the three types of coc's you can specify on the new coc (not test report), which reads as follows:

Issuing of certificate of compliance
    9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance.
    (2) A registered person may issue a certificate of compliance accompanied by the required test report only after having satisfied himself or herself by means of an inspection and test that

(a) a new electrical installation complies with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and was carried out under his or her general control; or

(b) an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or

(c) an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe, and
    (ii) the extensions or alterations effected comply with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and were carried out under his or her general control.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Next snag - knowing when any particular part of an electrical installation was added.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Next snag - knowing when any particular part of an electrical installation was added.
    ...actually that is soooo easy... just get GEIA involved and they'll inspect the complete installation as a "new" installation.

Bugger the law, they make the law (and regulations) up on the go.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I see what you are saying, theres a line missing for "the installation existed, but no COC is available.....if reperations was made, it was made under my general supervision"

I just use the new installation bit, and see the under my control as being the repairs and the test (of which I am 100% on site anyway).....they did not leave an additional option so I make due?
    IJS Installations

9. Thanks given for this post:

123 (16-Apr-10)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234