Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Site hacked

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Site hacked

Went into my my website to find a dreaded google warning message that my site hosts malware and 'visiting this site may harm your computer'.

I discovered that a few files had been hacked and a bunch of javascript code had been added at the end of the files.

Seeing as its just a static site with no sql or other means to break in, I assume they came in through the front door.

So I queried this with webafrica, who are avoiding the issue and telling me I must change my website write permissions and then it will be safe.

Can anyone tell me whether this is my fault or should I not expect this isp to safeguard our sites from basic scenarios like this?

Besides being elusive about the situation, this isp continues to be obtuse and unhelpful whenever I have a problem. Is it normal to be treated as if one has a degree in this stuff and they talk down to you like a turkey or do you get helpful people out there in isp land who would guide you through a situation like this.

Obviously I had a problem but their initial response is ..send us an email and we will respond sometime. Then next came the ....it will cost me R300 for a restore from their side message, then nothing.......I reloaded the site and then had to figure out the google resubmit and webmasters tools etc to get back in action. No help from Webafrica........Its obviously time for a change.........mmmmm........yes I feel a new years resolution coming on.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to check the folder permissions for your public folder and subfolders. If it's straight HTML pages, set them to read only....

Change your password (and username if possible)!

Also check for unauthorised or non-password protected FTP user profiles.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (25-Dec-09)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well ISP’s do think that god made them better. That is basically the problem with any tech in these times. “I am so good I love myself” types that think the normal people are stupid and not worthy of their time.

What Dave suggested is a good start also I would recommend you have a long look at your contract and their policies on protecting your website. I am sure that they made some commitment... And then you contact them and tell them you are not getting the service you are paying for and you think that the consumer council must be involved. Also it would be a good time to get names and a contact number for a manager.

Make waves!!
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (25-Dec-09)

Thanks
    One of my client's site was hacked a few weeks ago. Google informed my ISP, who let me know. I got the mail about ten minutes after Google sent it, and telephoned my ISP right away. He had already fixed what was broken, tossed what was not original, and I was able to mail Google to let them know the site was squeaky clean and wholesome again.

I pay a bit more than I would were I to use another vendor, but have been with my ISP for some years. I have never had reason to be even slightly disgruntled, as he is hands-on, and jacked up. The sorta ISP I need cos I am seriously tech challenged.
    Last edited by tonyflanigan; 24-Dec-09 at 09:27 PM.
    I'm one of the T's from TnT Unleashed Web design, photography and writing services
    http://www.1pic4twenty.co.za

7. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (25-Dec-09)

Thanks
    Thanks - Tony - do not be shy, I am in serious need of of a new isp.....which isp are you talking about - If only I could get that type of service? You can make a list if you are not sure about promoting them and just make sure they are first on the list.

Thanks
    lol! I'm not shy, far from it, I just don't wantto be smacked around, thrown against the wall, and shot at dawn for furthering commercial interests on the forum!

Speak to Collin, on his cell now, or e-mail him, as he is "on leave", at the moment.
    You can tell him I referred you, I don't get commission or kick-backs or anything, just a "noddy badge" and a "red smartie".

Tel Number : 041-3630535 (9:00am - 4:30pm)
    Fax Number : 086-6762661
    Email Address : support@bisnet.co.za
    Cell : 083-9963068
    I'm one of the T's from TnT Unleashed Web design, photography and writing services
    http://www.1pic4twenty.co.za

10. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (26-Dec-09)

Thanks
    No offence, tec0, but if we (ISP's) have to keep tab on every client's website that was hacked, then when exactly do you think our staff will find time to do their work?

Website gets hacked due to the followintg reasons:
    1. weak passwords - on control panels / FTP accounts / email accounts / etc.
    2. Outdated scripts on websites, most commonly on Joomla / Wordpress / phpBB / SMF / vBulletin / etc.
    3. the client access his control panel / FTP account / email account from a public PC (internet cafe / "friend's house" / airport / library / etc) and either left the account logged in, or there was a keylogger on that PC.

- In all the cases above, it's the client's responsibility to make sure he's passwords are strong.
    "MyPass1234" isn't strong! Use something like "PN45%@na8!".
    - If the client allows others to access his control panel, for example a 3rd party web designer, then that person can wreak havoc - which often happens when the client & the designer have a fight about the costs of the project.
    - If you ABSOLUTELY have to access your control panel from a public PC, then make sure you clean out all cookies, password, temporary internet files, etc from the PC, and change your password immediately afterwards.

I see these things happen a LOT. And while the client believes that it's our fault for not keeping the servers secure and allowing others to access their control panels, it's not. NO FIREWALL will ever keep a website secure, if the client's password is compromised. In fact, if the servers were insecure (for example, in WA's case), then the WHOLE SERVER would have been compromised, not just your website!

If the bank had to hold your hand while you walk down the street to draw cash, then there would be no people left in the bank to operate the bank. How then, do you expect your ISP to pay a staff member to keep an eye on your website 24/7/365 ?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well it is true that weak passwords are to blame but again, no... If everything is our responsibility, and the ISP are only the host with no commitment to security what-so-ever then specify it in the contract. Also you can specify the length of the password and you can set-up a rule that will force the user to use caps and what not for their passwords. But this is not being done because some ISP’s found the system to difficult others just don’t worry about it.

In the end of the day if you expect your client to be more educated then you then yes, but some clients are new to this world and the ISP needs to make sure that the client is protected on a basic level. But if it is a sink or swim scenario you want then chances are you will have a few people drowning and a negative image towards hosting in general.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Well it is true that weak passwords are to blame but again, no... If everything is our responsibility, and the ISP are only the host with no commitment to security what-so-ever then specify it in the contract. Also you can specify the length of the password and you can set-up a rule that will force the user to use caps and what not for their passwords. But this is not being done because some ISP’s found the system to difficult others just don’t worry about it.

In the end of the day if you expect your client to be more educated then you then yes, but some clients are new to this world and the ISP needs to make sure that the client is protected on a basic level. But if it is a sink or swim scenario you want then chances are you will have a few people drowning and a negative image towards hosting in general.
    So, how do you propose the ISP's keep tab on what you do? Think about this, for a moment.
    How will a firewall help in this case? Your website is supposed to be "open on the internet", so the firewalls really only protect the servers / switches / routers / etc.
    If you (not you personally, the client) installs Joomla, and insists on using "Johny" as an admin password, then that's NOT the ISP's fault or responsibility. And if the client insists on using "Jonhy" as his email password, then again that's not the ISP's fault.

We, for example, have a minimum password strength of 65 - which is rather high, you need a capital letter a lower case letter, a digit, and non-numeric password. To get 65 score on most encryption algorithms, you also need a minimum of 6 characters. But this is only effective on our own servers, where we have control over it, for example with cPanel, FTP, email, etc. This doesn't help you if you have a weak admin password in your Joomla installation.

BUT, my point is still, if you access your control panel from the internet cafe in town, then NO SECURITY in the world will help you.

Re: the comments on the bank: No matter how strong their vaults are, how secure their entire operation is, etc, if you go and withdraw R10,000 cash from an ATM in Hillbrow, then it's your own fault for being robbed.

While we all like to blame someone else for problems that happen, we also need to be mature enough to take responsibility for our own actions. I can't vouch for another ISP, but I get a bit upset if it's always "the stupid ISP that is to blame".
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    I dont think this should be a blame game cause neither side can really prove their case.

What I do think is that there appears to be this unwillingness for isp's in general to help out given the various scenario's that can go down.

When my site was hacked, the isp closed up ranks in an immediate 'its not our fault - you will have to sort it out' mode. It would have gone a long way, if they had firstly notified me, cause they knew the situation had gone down, and when I inquired, told me and guided me through resolving the situation. If they had gone into help mode, this thread probably would not be out there for discussion.

The tones of their emails was that I was bugging them as an irritating client.

I do think that isp's, instead of telling me they have a Brazilian clients, a gazillion gigs, a hoard of network wiring, a pentaflop of technical geeks and they are the greatest thing since the external harddrive - that they should concentrate on ensuring that I am aware of these very things mentioned , like adequate passwords, surfing at the internet cafe and local hotel, poor and old software and furthering my education so that I do not pose a threat to the whole system. And if I do ask them a question or have a concern, they take their time out to ensure that I understand the answer or have a warm feeling at the end of the call or email.

My son, who fixes PC's and does IT type stuff, gleefully told me the other day that there are really stupid people in his town, they don't even know how to switch on their PC. When I pointed out that firstly a while back until he had been shown, he did not know how to switch the machine on either, and also that if it wasnt for these 'stupid' people that he also calls clients, he would be holed up in our spare room wondering if he was going to eat that day; his gleeful expression changed as has his disposition towards his clients.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast