Thread: AIA inspection report - how do I reply?

Thanks

Exclamation AIA inspection report - how do I reply?

Hi
    I have just joined and urgently in need of advice. I am a registered person and recently done a compliance inspection. I handed the coc to the previous owner who stayed in the place for 4 weeks and subsequently moved out of the house. On vacating the premises he removed some of the lights, his overhead projector (cut the cables in midair) and installed two new pool pumps. Obviously I signed the coc and was called by the new owner - who threatened to come after me personally - after I had offered to go out and check everything, he compiled a list of gievances which included new garden lights. I told him that I will need to check out the problems first and was told that we either agree to everything or nothing at all - he then called in the AIA - whom I also phoned prior to their inspection for advice - but the guy was too busy to speak to me-
    I now received the AIA's report - obviously the coc is invalid - & I now have 7 days to respond - this whole process is new to me - does anyone out there know what to do in such circumstances? I have been to the ECA - they referred me to the AIA-

Thanks

Smile My tuppence worth

It is a disgrace that we are not supported when in the right. 1stly, did you get a signature from the person to whom you gave the COC. Provision is made on the COC(now called test report). If you did, the responsibillity has shifted to him, end of story. If you did not you are still not automatically liable. Point number 3 under Notes on page 1 of the test report clearly states that appliances and fittings are excluded from the COC. You need only provide a witness to say that the missing items were there at after the time you issued the COC and that they were susequently removed. Your COC is no longer valid but that does not mean that you issued an invalid COC nor that you are liable for the condition of the installation which was tampered with after the COC was issued. The seller is not allowed to remove fixtures in the first place so you need not worry. The buyer will sue the seller as he must replace the missing items or reimburse him, with installation too.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-Dec-09)

Suspended
    Thanks
    dont panic...post the AIA report so we can all see it then we can review it and ask questions...it might be an idea to send the AIA the link to this thread and they can also give us some input...i have had dealing with the AIA in cape town and from my experience i am not impressed.

dont go back to site and dont worry...if you fiddle with anything on site you will become liable...make sure you have an independant witness if you have to go to site but dont work on the site...keep your hands in your pockets...and take picture if you can...if you have carried out the inspection and done everything as per rquirements...you have nothing to worry about...the owner is responsible for the electrical installation not the electrician.

personal threat...make a statement at your local police station just in case...it might pay in the long run...and record any virbal threats if you can.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (21-Dec-09)

Suspended
    Thanks
    if the db looks like this one then you still dont have to worry because this seems to be the norm in SA...i thought kzn was the only place we had this type of workmanship but i took this pic in jhb a week ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad db.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	1085  

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is still one of my all time favourites...this pic was taken because the 4x4 box is an extention box with no back...the 2 way box is a standard box...the twin+e is the main supply cable (16mm) with a piece of 6 mm in the middle about to be skimmed with concrete...i instructed the builder to stop and contacted brian bilton at the eca who was helping the DOL at the time...was told by brian "i dont know what all the fuss is about"...well that was the last time i bothered reporting bad workmanship.

now i put my blinkers on do the task requested...make sure my work is up to "my" standard...get my money and move to the next job...i just take pics and keep them for my own records.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 mm joint to 16mm.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	1086