Thread: cc for skills quota visa

Silver Member
    Thanks

cc for skills quota visa

So I have a Skills Quota visa for South Africa and have had a lot of trouble getting work so my idea is to start up on my own(don't like foreign qualifications). I am almost there getting regestered with The DOL as an installation electrician and I have all my own tools and my testing gear can be shipped over easy.

Does anyone know if that is allowed?? I know Foreigners are allowed CC companies in there own name but does anyone know any reason or where its says that I can't work for myself here in SA with a Skills Quota Visa. I looked at the Immigration Act and I can't see anywhere where it says I can't.

Are any other catches???

If can't get a job with a company I'll start my own!

I know it won't be easy but nothing has been easy so far so I'm kind of used to it now.

And besides "if it was easy, everyone would do it" (my little mantra thats keeping me going)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As in self-employment?

I know what I would do in your position, but as to whether it's allowed in terms of your visa, I have no idea.

Thanks
    Hey Skatingsparks!

Thanks for the information on the UK NVQ3 and the SA equvalent you sent the other day. Much appreciated. I will get on with that asap, just need a job now. Not much happening in the UK at the moment unfortunately.

What do you mean with an Installation Electrician exactly? So many different job titles. I am confused. Is there something like an "domestic Installer" in South Africa? Single phase work on new build houses and / or extentions only?what are the qualifications that I need to do this kind of work or is it all the same ie Wiremans license.

What are the different levels of electricians in SA and what are their required qualifications? Its very difficalt to make any sense of it from here in the UK.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Tracer

All the info is here

http://www.uif.gov.za/downloads/docu...%20persons.doc

Basically (I think) is that a single phase tester can only Test you guess single phase, and installation electrician can install, test and inspect 3 phase installations with some limitation on specialized installations such as mines or petrochemical kind of things which is when you need to be a Master electrician.

Put simply for domestic, commercial and industrial which isn't a hazourdous location(there are definitions of what you are are not allowed to do as a installation electrician) you need to be graded as installation electrician. You can do and sign of work, which i guess is what your aiming for.

In that document from DOL I'm trying for Installation electrician using Option 1

2. INSTALLATION ELECTRICIAN

OPTION 1

A candidate must:

2.1.1 Minimum Integrated Practical and Theoretical Qualification

(a) Achieved a National Certificate in Electrical Engineering: NQF level 4 issued by the ESETA.

(b) Submit documentary proof of successful completed unit standards on inspection, testing and certification of three phase industrial/commercial installations as prescribed by the ESETA.

2.1.2 Knowledge of Statutory Requirements

Submit proof of knowledge on the legislation and relevant health and safety standards applicable to electrical installations by having passed the subject Installation Rules as administered by the Department of Education.

The NQF 4 can be gained by doing NVQ 3 and getting it equated by SAQA, the Unit standards your just going to have to do the course. A guy called Jaques on this site recommended these guys.

http://www.wcaeia.co.za/

I went down to Cape Town to see them last week and they knew there stuff, none of this "come back in February" or "just wait a while". It was right "you need this, you can do then and it'll cost you this". Perfect!

I should be going back to Cape town week after next o do the course. Notice that I'm happy to fly from Jo'burg to Cape town, pay for a hotel, car and the course rather than be D*&^ed around in Jo'burg anymore.

The knowledge of statutory regulations is the wiring regs exam, I'm sure I have said it before but this exam is H A R D!!! It covers the regs book as well as 6 other books. Its not like the 17th edition exam, your going to have to study and to be honest I would consider sourcing a copy of sans 10142 and start studying it now. I might be able to scan some previous exam papers in so you get an idea of whats in i the exam. It has 2% pass rate country wide.
    H A RRRRRRRRD!!!!
    Only 2 people passed it when I sat it, I only scrapped through with the pass mark on(50%) one of the papers and 57% on the second

I might need to have my foreign practical qualification assessed by an ESETA place but 2 places have said as I have been working 12 years they said to me to just apply. Apparently it consists of bending conduit in a cubical, connecting a fuse board, load balancing, connecting a motor etc... but it cost 2800 rand which i would rather not pay. Obviously I'd rather not pay someone to watch me do jobs in a little cubicle which people usually pay me to do.

Like I said, get a copy of the news SANS 10142, its LOT more basic than the UK wiring regs(no adiabatic equations, time current tripping characteristic etc) but you need to know it back to front for that Installation rules exam. I can't find anywhere in the SANS book where it actually specifies disconnection times.

Good luck and check out Jaques posts, lot of info

Skating sparks

Email problem
    Thanks
    I know this is an old thread but i was wondering if you guys new what a uk level 3 cert in electrical engineering was equivalent to in south africa?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Not sure what level 3 you have, is it NVQ level 3? Can you give more details such as do you have 2330, 17th, 2391, 2356 or 2357...with or without AM2, 2351?

What JIB grading do you have or do you qualify for? Do you have the older quals or the newer 2357? I know C&G were messing around with the NVQ's and some of the older quals would migrate across to the newer ones but AM2 was becoming mandatory (which it wasn't with he 2356).

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have the C&G 2351 and 17 edition