Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WINDOWS XP vs WINDOWS VISTA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to alternatives to MS Office, I was very impressed with Open Office. In days gone by there were irritating compatibility problems, but they seem to have ironed those bugs out. It really is a slick product nowadays and completely compatible with MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    When it comes to alternatives to MS Office, I was very impressed with Open Office. In days gone by there were irritating compatibility problems, but they seem to have ironed those bugs out. It really is a slick product nowadays and completely compatible with MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
    Except with the "new" 2007 file formats (DOCx, XLSx, etc.). And for those using Access ... the OOo Base is a bit less of a product. You can use the data inside MDB files, but the forms & reports cannot be imported to Base. Also if you've made any VBA macros in MSO you would need to "convert" (or rather rewrite) them to StarBasic (or one of OOo's other macro languages like JavaScript, BeanShell or Python).

BTW, OOo is in the process of having a UI revamp. The Renaissance project is looking at various ways to make the User Interface look & work better. Some of the prototypes seem very similar to MSO2007's ribbon, while others focus more on the sidebar idea. The java based prototype is for their Impress (Power Point alternative).

As for project, there are a few Open Source alternatives. See this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ement_software

The one I like using is Open Workbench, although I don't do project planning that often - so I probably have not compared it to MS Project's features comprehensively.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Dec-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Except with the "new" 2007 file formats (DOCx, XLSx, etc.).
    Thanks for that. I hadn't come across that snag as yet. What we have done here is standardise on Office 2003 doc types, so our exposure to Office 2007 documents is limited to stuff we receive from clients or suppliers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Just look at Microsoft Projects and you will see that it will cost you between R10000 to R12000 that rules out any kind of training impossible.
    Check out Gantt, it's freeware project management software that can import and export to M$ Project. It's also Java based so it will run cross platform.

There's also open workbench that might suit your needs.

I acquired a version of M$ Office 2003 that came with Word, publisher, excel, powerpoint, and ......wait for it.....M$ Project and Visio. It was a lot less than the 10-12 grand you quoted above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12