Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Africa forward

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this much - as long as we look outside Africa for reasons or solutions, we're not going to really change the situation.

My feeling is we've got to look within. We need to build ourselves. Africa is not going to get dragged up by anyone else North, East or West of us. As Michael's comment suggests - they've got their own problems.

We need to lift ourselves up, rise up, look within, face our weaknesses and start working constructively on addressing them.

It frustrates me incredibly. Africa has such potential and yet we seem unable to get the go-forward from within ourselves to realise it - to make it happen.

Bleating at the UN isn't going to change the way we go about things. It's not other countries or continents that put us down or hold us back. We're doing it to ourselves!

2. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (20-Nov-09)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Prior to 1994 SA had great mineral value that the world wanted. We even discovered oil. Our gold, diamonds and other precious metal were the best by far. The world fought for them and we were labeled as a Racist Apartheid Country.

When the new government took over we lost all our values, roots and priorities, went down the tubes. We pushed the price of labour through the ceiling. The raised labour costs had a ripple effect and all other costs were also affected.

When you think of it we have one group of people to blame. One organization to blame. The Unions. Mainly Cosatu. They are more destructive than they are good. Then they make the masses believe that the previous white government is to blame.

Diamonds are now being sort in other countries like Moscow. Copper still comes from Zambia. But very little of it now.

So lets summarize what has happened. We as business owners have become exceptionally lax. We have this "I don't care as long as you leave my business and family alone" attitude. We need to wake up and take stock. If you want to work with everyone then there must be absolutely no colour. We must get rid of the Unions who act militant and work with those who are willing to accept change for all and not one.

We need to take stock and then start to rebuild South Africa, based on our own strengths and Industrial Genius.

Thanks
    Do a national SWOT analysis (Stealing What Others Toil)

Seriously, if we should find a way to empower everyone there should be a huge exponential increase in business, right?
    More profit, more business ad nauseum.
    Why is this not the case?
    Is it because the recipients of this largesse really are consumers and not producers of wealth? and in time the status quo rebalances itself, the rich will get richer, the powerful get what they want and the rest go to the wall?

We need a mindset adjustment
    'Look to yourself to create whatever it is that you want, stop relying on others to lead the way, become an individual, stop being part of this collective that is draining us all'

Inevitably those few that can provide assistance will suffer 'Donor Fatigue' and cease being the source of goodwill.

For Africa to succeed there must be no more 'BIG MEN' no 'WABENZI' simply democratic 'ACCOUNTABLE' governance, no more is needed.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

5. Thank given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (20-Nov-09), Dave A (21-Nov-09)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Is it because the recipients of this largesse really are consumers and not producers of wealth?
    That is a particularly sharp insight, Wynn.

7. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (22-Nov-09)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

We need to lift ourselves up, rise up, look within, face our weaknesses and start working constructively on addressing them.

It frustrates me incredibly. Africa has such potential and yet we seem unable to get the go-forward from within ourselves to realise it - to make it happen.

Bleating at the UN isn't going to change the way we go about things. It's not other countries or continents that put us down or hold us back. We're doing it to ourselves!
    I signed up to a South African company (Lime Media) a few months ago and the results were fantastic. They brought my website and online adverts into the 21st century putting me on the front pages of google! i believe we should trust our own South African companies more other wise we will constantly rely and build other countries economies when instead we should be building and strengthening our own!

http://www.limemedia.co.za/

9. Thank given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (25-Nov-09), Emilganos (14-Dec-09)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A case of the lemontree providing low-hanging fruit? I couldn't help but get curious.

According to Uniforum SA, limemedia.co.za was first registered on 29 October 2009. Details of the registrant was updated on 31 October 2009 to one Andrew Dryden of Lime Media. The name rang a bell, but what caught my interest then is the email address -

2l. registrantemail : technical@newapproachmarketing.com

Now New Approach Marketing has been discussed before. And I do believe somewhere along the line we established this is a UK outfit.

So is Limemedia.co.za in fact a foreigner in local clothing? Perhaps the Lemontree knows.

11. Thank given for this post:

Thanks

Blatant as they were before - methinks its a lemon in lime clothing or was that lime in a lemon's clothing. I dont know but whatever the approach its not new.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

13. Thank given for this post:

Email problem
    Thanks
    I do believe they have offices in other parts of the worlds, i was told that my business would be delt with in south africa and as i spoke to a south african lady i suppose i felt this was good enough. i would like to say that i feel they worked for me and my guest houses' accounts.
    and by the way my username has nothing to limes its lemontree.
    Last edited by Lemontree; 25-Nov-09 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
    and by the way my username has nothing to limes its lemontree.
    I'll take that at face value.

As for the rest, I'm merely pointing out that Lime Media might not be quite as homegrown as you originally suggested, especially as
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
    i believe we should trust our own South African companies more other wise we will constantly rely and build other countries economies when instead we should be building and strengthening our own!
    It seems Andrew Dryden is located in the UK.

16. Thanks given for this post:

Emilganos (14-Dec-09)

Thanks
    Dave, can you move this thread to a renamed site because I am sure a lot of people will miss the discussion as it apears under 'meet and greet?

I am sure emilganos won't mind?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

18. Thanks given for this post:

Emilganos (14-Dec-09)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast