Thread: Improve your Profitability with Effective Sales Administration

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Improve your Profitability with Effective Sales Administration

The Job isn't Started until the Paperwork is Done.

Improve your Profitability with Effective Sales Administration.

Richard Mulvey

The average sales person doesn’t like admin. Like oil and water they don’t mix very well. The average sales person will write their weekly sales report on Friday afternoon just before it is due, get the CRM system up to date only when they are asked, make up the call report sheet to keep the sales manager happy and calculate their strike rate from memory, if they bother with that at all. The average sales person doesn’t like admin. Unfortunately the results from the average sales person are… well… average.

Some years ago I saw a cartoon on an office wall with the title “The job isn’t finished until the paperwork is done”. I am sure you have probably seen something similar. Actually in sales it is different. “The job isn’t started until the paper work is done”. Without the admin we are shooting in the dark. Okay we may hit something from time to time but we will miss more than we hit. Good sales coaching will fix this problem

The best sales people in the world understand that admin is the lifeblood of the sale, and the best sales people produce the best results. But we are not just talking about accurate invoicing here.

Before you meet a prospect you want to know as much information as you can. Where do you find this? In the CRM system. (Goldmine, ACT, etc.). If you want to measure your skills and watch them improve look at your Strike Rate. If you want more referrals or focus a sales drive on a particular niche market go to your CRM system but none of this can happen if your admin is not up to date.

Try writing your weekly report sheet at the beginning of the week and then use this to focus your sales activities. Before you start a telephone session make sure your call report sheet is complete and laid out in front of you. If you know who you will be ringing over the next hour and what you want to achieve from that call you will be much more effective. Only amateurs start a telephone session with the Yellow Pages open using a pin to choose your prospects.

What about sales forecasting? Professional sales people will tell you not only what business they did last month (or last year at this time) but also what they are going to do next month as well. This is not just guess work, however, this is accurate prediction based on a number of issues including seasonal variances, government activity, exchange rate trends and a whole range of other issues that can be predicated if we have kept accurate records.

Sales Managers have a responsibility here as well. It is not just enough to tell the sales people that they have to do their administration. Commission payments, performance bonuses and salary increases should be based, at least in part, on the accuracy of the sales persons record keeping. Sales managers should be insisting on accurate activity reports, strike rate tracking reports, weekly / monthly sales reports, customer contact reports etc

Administration and record keeping is as much a part of professional salesmanship as asking for the business and handling objections. Some sales people believe that sales admin gets in the way of the real business of selling, but the best sales people know that your sales admin will help to drive the sale to a successful outcome.

Richard

Richard Mulvey, "The International Sales Guru," has directly influenced over 140,000 business people over the last 15 years helping them improve their sales profitability. For more information and to receive your free 5 day sales training course, a free daily sales quote, or to read hundreds of sales articles, visit www.salescoachingworx.com. You can also follow the author on twitter (richardmulvey) or purchase his DVDs, Books, MP3s etc at www.richardmulvey.com. You may re-publish this article un-edited in any media as long as this paragraph is at the end.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I forwarded this to my sales reps immediately

Email problem
    Thanks
    I agree with you

admin is important as sales but a good salesman reports is normally done because he is proud of his work the ones that don't reach target are the ones that make up excuses (sales reports, telesales reports ect)

I'm forwarding this also to all my sales teams too

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Dave. Good article. I did a sales course with Richard a few years back. He sticks to the point and really offers good solid sales advice. I am a sales person that believes in finding the balance between admin and being out there. You can't just prospect if you don't know what you are looking for. Existing clients also don't want to be called on just for the sake of it so sales people can meet their "call per day" quotas.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (25-Nov-09)

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I want to forward this to someone - how can I do that. Preferbaly how can i make a link in the email that lands them direct on this page? Otherwise I need to give the directions I guess. Tahnks

Okay i figured it out - I used back link and then copied and paste - is this the way or is their a better way?
    Last edited by sterne.law@gmail.com; 09-Dec-09 at 03:42 PM. Reason: More info
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sterne.law@gmail.com View Post
    If I want to forward this to someone - how can I do that. Preferbaly how can i make a link in the email that lands them direct on this page?
    At the top of the thread you can use Thread Tools > Email this page.

Suspended
    Thanks
    goood articles i hope it me amen

Email problem
    Thanks
    Well it has been some time since my last visit to The Forum, but here I am.

Fantastic article and some Food for Thought as well. Doing the paperwork up front will definetly help to "keep your eye on the ball" so to speak and help you reach your goals.

Thanks for sharing!