Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Electrician... just don't know what else to do...

Silver Member
    Thanks

UK Electrician... just don't know what else to do...

I have been on here a few times asking bits and pieces about getting wireman's licence(installation electrician) sorted and this is basically my last.... don't know what you call it but anyway...

So I am a UK trained electrician, 10+ years. I am here in SA on the Skills Quota Visa(girlfriend is South African) and after much messing around got my UK qualifications assessed by SAQA. When I say messing around I mean hours on the phone, dozens of emails, dozens of letters and a 4 month trip back to the UK for more qualifications and then sitting in there office 3 day straight to make sure they have everything they need. So SAQA say my qualifications equate to an NQF 4, which is bit rubbish because I have been told you can get to an NQF 4 in about 1 year and 3 months(correct me if I'm wrong) if you do all levels back to back and would take at least 3 years to get the papers I have(if you really went for it).

So I hassel the ECA, trying to find out what I need to do to get my wireman's and have been doing so for over a year. I did the installation rules exam, passed(friking hard but passed). Did the COC course, not rocket science.

All these courses(ones in the UK and here) and the trip back to the UK have basically wiped out my savings. Saved for hard to come here, and i mean F^%$£"g hard for a really long time just to be dicked around. I haven't worked here since last November and have spent the time since trying to get my wireman's.

I have been signing of my own work in the UK for quite a few years and its not as if I'm fresh out of college. I'm not saying I know everything about electricity, no one does, but I'm sure I know enough to work out anything I come up against.

I went to the ECA today and now(after all the times I have been up there) tell me I have to do another one of there course. An assessment of foreign qualifications, costing 2800 rand. Why they didn't tell me to do that course a year ago I don't know. Now I have to wait until Feburary 8th to do that and even then after that I have to do units of credit for testing of a single phase and 3 phase testing. I don't think they realize the impact of there advise has been on my life. If I need to do something, tell me and I'll get it sorted. I was told I needed and equivalent of an NQF 4 before they can do anything, I go back to teh UK get more qualifications, and it still isn't enough

I can't start my own business, visa restrictions. Haven't done the SA trade test and don't intend to spend the 11 grand charged for the preparation to do it either. I'm due to do it some time between now and September 2010 according to the useless people at Olifontain, but who knows

If anyone has any ideas what I can do as after a year of messing around with this I'm pretty much broke. I have spent a fortune trying to sort this out, not to mention the lost the wages would usually get if i had just stayed working in the UK.(don't care if you have the weather and the so called SA lifestyle ain't so great to be honest, not a patch on what life was like in the UK, you just sit and wait for things to be sorted here, great).

I have wasted a year of my life on this

Open to suggestions and no the girlfriend won't go back to the UK, her families here.

CV if you know anyone who would be interested

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9...8b19ba0e1b98eb

Out of ideas and enthusiasm....

2. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (21-Nov-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    and if any South African person ever mentions skills shortage to me...... HELLLLOOOO!!!! Why would anyone with a skill come here, Australia and NZ welcome you with open arms as does the UK.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    Open to suggestions and no the girlfriend won't go back to the UK, her families here.
    She must be absolutely spectacular - you've put yourself through so much.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi

The new unit standards NQF 4 has recently been implemented (2 or 3 years or so). I know as I waited to long to get my wiremans, and after I finally took the time to apply, they said I needed the subjects. So, reluctantly I did it, and went to trhe DOL.

When I wrote my electrical trade it was the first year of the learnership system (different to the apprenticeship system). So Department of Labour did not recognise my qualification. I then got the head of SAQA, ECETA, CHIETA and petroleum SETA in a room with the DOL. After a long discussion and explaining to them that the system I started on was still the apprenticeship system (in fact, with not knowing what was going on on the SETA's part I took 3 years to qualify, and wrote 1st, 2nd and 3rd year trade test, with the final trade test being 7 jobs instead of the usual 5), only with a different name, they agreed that I am a qualified electrician on the old system. I eventually got my wiremans licence. This took around 2 years to get.

I would suggest that you phone the DOL and ask them exactly what you need. Once they say you need a,b,c (usually in writing), then go do that only and get back to them.

You would most probably need to get your foreign qualifications approved by SAQA (theory), and practical ESETA. Then you would need the 2 unit standards (no getting around that one).

Some usefull tel no?

ESETA 011 689 5300
    SAQA 012 431 5000
    Department of Labour 012 309 4000 also DOL/Lesedi Mathinya 012 309 4378

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    She must be absolutely spectacular - you've put yourself through so much.
    yep, she is.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    and if any South African person ever mentions skills shortage to me...... HELLLLOOOO!!!! Why would anyone with a skill come here, Australia and NZ welcome you with open arms as does the UK.
    So...what are you doing here? I guess we should NEVER underestimate the power of a woman!

11. Thanks given for this post:

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Jaques. I'll give the DOL a call again. I had my Qualification assessed by SAQA and it came back as an NQF 4. When I originally called the department of labour i put it to them that as SAQA recognize my UK City and Guild 2391 Testing and inspecting then would that not be acceptable to cover the unit standards, the testing of a 3 phase installations, because the City and guilds 2391 more than covers whats in the unit standards. In the UK you do your electricians course which covers testing as well and if you want to, you can do the additional city and guilds 2391. The South African rules are taken from the UK regs book anyway. Same electrical system, same voltage, same frequency, same earthing systems.
    I was told by the ECA that I don't need to do a trade test if I have an NQF 4, which is why I went back to the UK to get more qualifications. SAQA told me what I needed to get an NQF4 evaluation and that is what I went and got back in London. The reason I went to get it in London because it was quicker to fly back to the UK do more qualifications(which are more recognized world over compared to SA's, no offence). I couldn't get information on where to do the NQF4 here and I couldn't wait until September 2010 to do the trade test(I went to Olifontain directly, first available date, some time in 2010).

All jobs seem obsessed with the trade test. Now, again no offence, all the guys who I worked with at the airport who had there trade test could draw a lovely picture of a star delta starter but didn't have a frikin clue how it worked. They admitted to memorizing which pins you link out on the trade test board and hurray the motor runs. When I inquired about doing the trade preparation I was quoted about 11000 rand. After 12 years of doing this I am not really willing to pay that kind of money to do little jobs in cubicle which people usually pay me to do.

The testing thing is a problem because I haven't been able to get work since the airport job was completed and I haven't been able to make up a portfolio of tests and inspections for the unit standards. I have been testing and inspecting for 10 years+ and used to work a Megger (worlds leading test instrument manufacturer). I supervised and worked on the clean air floor where the meters are made, supervised and and worked on the rewiring of the calibration area, and we also rewired there store room over a period of 2 and half years and tested the whole lot myself. I feel I am a competent tester.

All these problems have put so much stress on my relationship with my girlfriend who I went through all this for that we are falling apart because its all I do. Try and sort this out. Since we have been here we haven't been able to enjoy SA because of worries about money, spending my savings whilst trying resolve this.

It seems more important here to tick the correct boxes rather than have people who have a good idea what there doing, doing a job.

I just hope i can pull her back and resolve all this. All this effort for nothing would be a bitter pill to swallow

13. Thanks given for this post:

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I agree with you that they are extremely concerned about ticking the right boxes, believe me I did all the necessary fighting to get to the point where I am now.

The two subjects you need is:

Test and Inspect 3 Phase Electrical Installation (Unit Standard No. 113894) NQF Level 4

Complete Certificate of Compliance for 3 Phase Electrical Installation (Unit Standard no. 13683) NQF Level 5

I also did my full qualification with three phase installation exams etc, but this standards is new and they are adiment (spelling) that it shall be done . You also do get the unfortunate rotten apples...guys who don't know anything about their trades, and in a good way the DOL is trying to ensure that these guys don't get to sign off a house and put peoples lives in danger, and yes, I really do understand and agree that its rubbish that they force good guys to struggle to get one step ahead.....

Try these guys...they are in the Cape though, I went down there to complete my Ustds, around R6000. They do the practical on site (simulated).

Western Cape Approved Electrical Inspection Authority
    1 Robert Rd
    Kraaifontein

Tel; 021 9873010
    Fax; 021 9873083
    Email: training@wcaeia.co.za

Have you tried also:

ECA(SA) Highveld Region
    Tel: 011 392 0000
    Fax: 086 660 3814

(electrical contractors association...they do full training on site, dont know about their practical though? You would have to join them once you do get your accreditation as they register you with the ECB - electrical contractors board, and they act on behalve of the DOL)

15. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques#1 View Post
    You would have to join them once you do get your accreditation as they register you with the ECB - electrical contractors board, and they act on behalve of the DOL)
    Now there's an interesting statement. Is that really your understanding of the position of the ECA?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Now there's an interesting statement. Is that really your understanding of the position of the ECA?
    Not exactly....I went to their road show the other day, and SABS, ECA and ECB had slots in the show. According to memory : The ECB was appointed by the government i.e minister to do the administration part of registering an electrical tester etc. Since the ECB is merely a group of people and not a orginisation/business (lack of a better word), the ECA was appointed as one of the orginisations where you can register as an accredited person.... electrical tester in this regard. This excludes the registering of electrical contractors, union functions, training intitute/programmes, developing icw SABS new standards etc. Am I making sense?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast