Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCR Rreplacement

Thanks

VCR Rreplacement

My Telefunken (made in China) VCR has finally pointed its toes to the ceiling and I need to replace it with a new device that records video from the TV. I know there are PVR's available but does anyone on this forum have any recommendations as to make and also what to look for in a PVR and what to avoid? Ta

Thanks
    Just to make it a little clearer, I do NOT want a multichoice decoder, because they are locked to Dstv.

Also I DO want one that has both an internal hard drive as well as the ability to make DVD's.

Any brand names spring to mind?

I have looked on the internet at the big discount stores but they all offer mulitchoice locked PVR's Kalahari.net which supplied my BRILLIANT Samsung 23" LCD monitor does not seem to carry the PVR. So what are South Africans using these days to record from TV?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd go into a store and test the ones they've got on display. And here's the test -

Is the menu system truly "intuitive"?
    ie - do you have to have a manual handy to carry out the 15 steps required just to record a program and then watch it later.

Some of the menu systems are an absolute shocker.

(And this isn't just a "real men don't read instruction manuals" thing - with some of those infernal machines the process is so complicated even reading the manual step by step still leaves you screwed).

Thanks
    my in-laws have an LG model, with a 250GB built-in HDD, and it works very well. They can watch DVD's on it, record movies from TV, do time-shift, record movies to DVD, copy movies from USB devices, and even record from a USB or firewire video camera. They can set it to record anything, at any time they want to, and then watch it later on.

It's not a DSTV PVR, but a stand-alone one. Make sure you get one with a build-in HDD, the ones without the build-in HDD are only DVD recorder, i.e. you need to have a disc in the drive to record.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Thanks Dave that is exactly the sort of thing I need to know before diving in at the deep end!

Thanks
    Thanks for that softdux. I have been on to many sites that sell electronic stuff for the home but there seems to be a real dirth of info on PVR's

Thanks
    I don't know which model they have, but it's very similar to this one:

http://www.houseintohome.co.za/produ...rh7624w-review

In fact, I think it's the same as this one: http://www.makro.co.za/live/content....00000138889|EA - but they have the 250GB one.

I hope this helps
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    my in-laws have an LG model, with a 250GB built-in HDD, and it works very well. They can watch DVD's on it, record movies from TV, do time-shift, record movies to DVD, copy movies from USB devices, and even record from a USB or firewire video camera. They can set it to record anything, at any time they want to, and then watch it later on.

It's not a DSTV PVR, but a stand-alone one. Make sure you get one with a build-in HDD, the ones without the build-in HDD are only DVD recorder, i.e. you need to have a disc in the drive to record.

I also have a LG with HDD. Only one thing that erks me about LG products. They cannot keep time if the power goes off. Samsung does !
    The result of this problem is that you cannot do a "timed recording" e.g. 22h00 tonight if the time has not been set or it has lost its time setting due to a power failure. It will however do a recording if the "record now" button is pressed. Other than that it is great.
    Just in closing, I did discuss this problem with LG and their response was " If you do not like it the way it is ........don't buy our products ! "
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks

Thanks

My thanks to all who replied to my request for info on the PVR. I now have a better idea of what to look for and what to avoid. It seems the pitfalls are many.

I have also looked around some of the bigger stores but it seems that they don't all carry this item, let alone models from different manufacturers. Makro of course only have the Dstv "decoder" pvr since their parent company owns mukkychoice. And I have yet to see a demo model on display!

Anyway with the programs offered on TV, it's not a priority just now, but again, thanks for all the assistance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by popayetwo View Post
    Makro of course only have the Dstv "decoder" pvr since their parent company owns mukkychoice.
    Wow this is news to me did massmart buy multichoice if so when? I always thought Naspers owned multichoice and Massmart Makro.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.