Thread: Tax return issued without IRP5

Thanks

Tax return issued without IRP5

I'm not registered as an employee of my own CC as it's still a new company and all money generated goes back into the business. My only personal income is rental income which is below the taxable level (I do provisional income returns but it's R0)
    However SARS has issued an ITR12 for me which when I open it gives me the message below as obviously there was no IRP5 issued for me anywhere.
    My tax for 2009 is R0 so can I just ignore this tax return or do I have to do one because I have a rental income (even though with expenses deducted the income is below the taxable level)and I do provisional tax returns ?

Message on E-Filing:
    An income tax return has been generated for you containing the latest employee tax certificate [IRP5/IT3(a)] information that SARS has received for you from your employer/s. If your return does not contain all your tax certificate information it means that:
    1. Either your employer/s has not yet submitted this information to SARS or
    2. SARS is unable to match you to a tax certificate/s due to incomplete or inaccurate information on these certificates (e.g. it does not contain your ID or tax reference number).

SARS recommends that in such cases you do not file this return and rather try again later by refreshing your IRP5 data on the Income Tax Work page.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By my understanding you need to declare your nett rental income, even though it doesn't affect your tax liability in this instance.

It's like being a sole proprietor - you're "trading" in your personal capacity so you can't exactly issue an IRP5 on yourself.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave . But my problem is that because no IRP5 was issued for me I can't open the ITR12 on E-Filing - it just gives me that message.

Message on E-Filing:
    An income tax return has been generated for you containing the latest employee tax certificate [IRP5/IT3(a)] information that SARS has received for you from your employer/s. If your return does not contain all your tax certificate information it means that:
    1. Either your employer/s has not yet submitted this information to SARS or
    2. SARS is unable to match you to a tax certificate/s due to incomplete or inaccurate information on these certificates (e.g. it does not contain your ID or tax reference number).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a request process to get the return onto your profile. Unfortunately my auditors jump through that particular hoop for me so it's not something I've experienced personally. Maybe someone else reading this can advise.

Worst case scenario is to go to a SARS office and get them to file the return online there. I know that defeats the object of online, but it might help set you up properly for next year if it comes to that.

Thanks
    Have a look at the step-by-step guide for individuals, http://www.sarsefiling.co.za/Forms_Guides.aspx

At the moment all my downloads from SARS efiling hang, so I can't even open up that file to check for you
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog