Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ammendment to SANS 10142

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Are you saying that if I have the local sparky come and add a surface mounted plug point in the outdoor entertainment area, or change a single to double plug point, or add a geyser time, that I need a new COC ?

This would add + 200% to the cost of the work I just had done !!

Alternatively, should I only be using someone that can issue their own COC ?

And is any COC applicable for the entire property, or would they issue an updated / amended COC to cover only the work they just completed ?
    A COC can be written for the alteration only, saving you time, saving you money, putting your life first!! Seriously, the Electrician will check the DB, test the alteration he made. Some tests involve testing the whole system, but they are quick. It might come at a small increase in price, but well worth it, and if there is something seriously wrong like an elevated voltage to earth, he may save you and your families lives.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Jan-10)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for answering my questions guys. A new questions, same topic (amendments to SANS).

Joints and terminations have been amended a few times over the last few years. I still do mine in junction boxes.....but if you check the book it says something like this: out of arms reach & live parts cannot be touched with the std test finger/not exposed. Nothing about boxes. I've come across a house where they wired before the ceiling was put in, junction box facing down- 4 pieces of conduit coming out in their relative directions.....PS-they should make this method illegal - or the boxes facing down anyway!!!!! So before they finished wiring the ceilings went up, and guess what, they couldn't get into the boxes (not without effort anyway). They did the connections outside the box with strip connectors taped up. Strictly speaking, according to the book they aren't wrong, are they? Its out of arms reach from the floor, and you cannot touch any exposed live part???

Further to this...Talking to an inspector one day I asked him why am I seeing more and more junction boxes without lids.....he said the ceiling is not a livable area and the "normal" person wouldn't be up there fiddling with wires....but what about rats???
    Last edited by Jacques#1; 17-Jan-10 at 08:16 AM.
    IJS Installations

Suspended
    Thanks
    the rats...plumbers...builders....electricians...pest control staff...etc etc...

i dont see how that rule is legal because it must be vermin proof.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the rats...plumbers...builders....electricians...pest control staff...etc etc...

i dont see how that rule is legal because it must be vermin proof.
    you didn't specify which of the above are the vermin ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

Suspended
    Thanks
    no comment

Thanks
    This is why the industry is in disrepute. You were taught to do the joints in an enclosure so do it until it is outlawed because it is dangerous. Forget about the chance takers that search for loopholes in the regulations to use to their advantage. If I come across an open box during an inspection it comes on my list of items that are non-compliant.By promoting qualified people and charging more to remove the shoddy work and start from scratch the public will realise that it pays to have a reputable person do the work in the first place.

8. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (18-Jan-10), Jacques#1 (18-Jan-10)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    you didn't specify which of the above are the vermin ?
    IJS Installations

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Daveob - just what is vermin out of the above might be debatable, but that none of the above are "normal people" is beyond question

Jaques, I believe the std test finger safe/not exposed test gives the answer. Extending this inspector's interpretation, open joints to wiring at the top of a light fitting hanging from the ceiling is just fine too if you wrap some tape around it. Now who is going to sign that off as compliant?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12