Thread: The life of a business owner

Suspended
    Thanks

The life of a business owner

Written by Christo Smit
    Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Ok, so you’ve made it. You’ve done your bit, you’ve studied and achieved the right qualifications, done a few jobs to prove your salts and established a name in your industry. You have a few clients who refer you because you are a good, trustworthy and talented member of your profession, you belong to all the right associations and professional bodies – you’re set, ready to make a few bucks. Right?

So why then is getting work a constant struggle? On the first of the month, you start the journey. Things look great, you sign a few deals. By the 23rd your targets are made. By the 25th you can pay salaries and VAT and UIF and the rest and then just as you relax, the end of the month hits and you have to start the process al over again. Yes, this is an over-simplification, but you get the message - the process is EXHAUSTING!

Wondering how I know so much about your life? No, I haven’t been reading your emails, I have been in this very same boat with you for the past 6 years. We wok together on this boat (or should I call it a galley) as a matter of fact. If you look over your shoulder, you’ll see me. I’m the slave at the oar on starboard side, third bench from the back, the one with the shiny shackles!

How do we then break this exhausting chain of events that we call “work”? I think customer care is the answer. We all have a database of loyal customers. It is also a known fact that spending time and effort on your existing clients is far less work and more profitable that trying to convince brand new people that you’re “the shit”. Start off by becoming sort of a Sage rather than a Peddler of Wares. Yours is a very specialized and professional industry. You know things that other people don’t! So tell them about it. Share your knowledge, write an article or two and start educating your audience about the many and varied benefits of having a professional architect, project manager or QS on the job.

It is no secret that we’re all in business for the money but we are all ethical businessmen and women. Our clients are not mere faceless bank accounts. We do build relationships and even friendships with our clients. Our clients trust us with their time, money and valuable investments and we give them our professional knowledge in return. We want their projects to be successful, we want them to prosper. Not only because of some monetary gain, but also because it is good to be part of someone else’s success. Don’t sell them anything, just be there for them and share what you know. You’ll be amazed at the goodwill you will generate and goodwill is naturally, good for business!

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (30-Oct-09)