Thread: FET & SKILLS EDUCATION

Suspended
    Thanks

FET & SKILLS EDUCATION

This is a question that has been bothering me for a while. Why is FET and Skills Training so expensive in South Africa? It shouldn't be.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well to study is not only expensive it is damn near impossible. Especially if you are not matriculated things get really bad for you. I have had so much trouble trying to get myself educated that I gave up. If you didn’t finish school then Unisa don’t want to touch you, The “N” qualifications was terminated there is no night classes available “this is true in our aria I don’t know about the rest of South Africa.

Now the second part of education, it is expensive R1300 per subject depending where and what you study. In short “it is game over” if you are between 25 and 30 and didn’t finish school... “I stand to be corrected on this” But there is NO POSSIBLE way for you to get properly educated.... Thus no good job, no job security, no retirement fund and you will be facing poverty when you enter retirement...

Suspended
    Thanks
    A few facts on education. The prices are steep. But did you know there are more that 28,000,000 online courses - free of charge. Now if you did not matriculate and you are over the age of 23 years with 5 years working experience, you may apply to study with a matric equivalent. If you get to 45 years of age, have no matric, but working experience. Fear not. Matric is no longer required.

If you put a Portfolio of Evidence together proving you have the capabilities to qualify in a certain field, we can have you assessed. If there is sufficient evidence you can qualify on competence alone.

Further education should not be that steep.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBEE_CompSpec View Post
    Why is FET and Skills Training so expensive in South Africa? It shouldn't be.
    I have to agree with you. Not surprising really as it's pretty obvious. I see a number of contributing factors which can be dealt with under three main headings:
    • The conversion to OBE,
    • The new education registration structures with their heavy administrative load, particularly for private training institutions,
    • The financial structure of the National Skills Development Strategy.

I can go into some depth when I've got the time if you're interested.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Dave, you have a follow up to complete.

Thanks
    If you get to 45 years of age, have no matric, but working experience. Fear not. Matric is no longer required.
    So by age 65 you should have an equivalent of a degree and be able to do your mba

I dont know what your stats are but I cannot see many 45 year olds with only work experience doing a theoretical course that will actually help them get ahead in their field.

There may be 28m online free courses - but how many of those are actually recognised within industry or the corporate world within SA, say. Its all very well doing a course to learn something and know how something works but will that course help put food on the table or get that person some recognition for promotion. Usually the answer is negative. In-house courses will usually only work within the company that organised them but as soon as the person moves to another company they are back to square one. It may give them some warm feeling about the persons abilities but it will not usually be recognised.

It seems there are two different scanarios and definitions here - skills, which teach one stuff without really adding cv value and Formal education, recognised accredited degrees and diplomas and pieces of paper that will add value. The first is easy to get if you look in the right places -can be cheap or even for free, but you get what you pay for. The second is extremely difficult if you have not progressed up a standard ladder of educating yourself. Thats just the entry requirements, before one looks at whether one can afford the level of education and certification that you may require.

There also seems to be much muttering on the level of proficiency and skills from people with pieces of paper, like a matric, in hand. This I would imagine lends a further problem to recognising matrics, degrees and diplomas. So basic skill sets without the relevant named organisation behind them will be pretty useless. I dont know that I would take on an employee who can only show me a free online course as their source of education or skill level?

Level of education and access to serious qualified educators is a huge problem that the world is going though, never mind just in SA.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

7. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (20-Nov-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBEE_CompSpec View Post
    Dave, you have a follow up to complete.
    Noted. A question though - will it make a difference?
    This submission I made in 2005 went down like a lead balloon.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    No
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT00062.gif 
Views:	269 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	1064  
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

11. Thanks given for this post: