Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CONFRONTING A TROUBLED EMPLOYEE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Say "thanks for the feedback. Is that parcel delivered yet?"

It's a question of style.

I heard a lovely story once about a grumbling employee. The owner of the business said - "follow me" and walked to the front door of the premises. He turned to the employee and said "there's the door", then just stood there looking at the employee.

After about ten seconds, he then said "there's the job" (pointing at the workshop), "there's the door" (pointing at the door) and walked back to his office.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Kemeca (10-May-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemeca View Post
    saying things like this company is abusing me and I cannot take this anymore. You are very using me and you have not benefits. When I die you will not be giving me anything.
    I would start by getting the employee and his employment contract together, and examine the job description.

Then determine if he has a legitimate gripe of being asked to do tasks outside his area of responsibility or beyond reasonable requests by a superior ( that's you - make sure he understands that ).

Also, look at the details in the contract and see if there are any 'benefits' listed. If not, ask him if he wants to re-negotiate his contract and you'll be happy to present a list of company approved options for pension fund / death fund / etc contributions. Politely explain that as these were not part of the original contract, the addition of any new benefits would have an effect on the payslip - more deductions, less net earnings each payday, so that the "cost to company" remains as current.

If this is not what he wants, determine if the employee is asking for an increase to cover the costs of the benefit contributions. If so, ask him to give you a written motivation to support the assessment. For example, how has he helped the company progress, what has he done above the normal call of duty, etc. You know, thinks like being enthusiastic about making a small delivery to help out the team, and contributing to the teams enthusiasm, etc.
    Watching the ships passing by.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Kemeca (10-May-10)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12