Hi

I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I need some advice as I am very anxious regarding a new employment situation.

I have recently obtained an offer from a company to join them. Initially they had offered a salary with benefits etc all stipulated and the agreement was that for 6 months I would be on probation and at the end of the 6 months, my fixed salary would change a little and a commission scheme would kick in. The idea was to sit down after 6 months and set a commission percentage and also agree on realistic sales targets. The position is that of Marketing manager. The offer also stipulated that my performance would be objectively evaluated regularly and “This contract of employment may be terminated by either party to the contract providing to the other party to the contract 1 month written notice of intention to terminate, for any reason recognised in law as being sufficient. The employer may terminate this contract of employment at any time during the duration of the contract, for reasons of the incapacity or misconduct of the employee, or the operational requirements of the employer. Should this contract be terminated for any of the above reasons, the employee agrees that he shall have no claim against the employer for any outstanding benefit, including remuneration, to the end of the contract.”

They have now come back to me and said that they can only do this with a Fixed term contract for the first 6 months and then we will evaluate as initially agreed and set parameters going forward.

My question is what do you think of this? Is it fair? What do they have to gain by suddenly offering a Fixed term contract which stipulates an end date? Considering I was going to be on 6 months probation is this a better deal for me or worse?

Thank you for your time