Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is labour legislation harming employment?

Thanks
    Opportunities are there all the time, but because of HR admin and onerous employment laws, most of those opportunities are ignored.

My aunt wants her house painted?
    In the old days I would have gone to the local paint shop, got a recommendation for a good freelance painter and his assistants and gone and given a quote.
    If I got the job her next door neighbor would have asked if I could repair her driveway, the old man across the road would have needed his fence fixed and the widow down the road wants the leak in her roof sorted out and so on.
    Today I would tell her to look in the yellow pages for a painting contractor and she will wind up paying the earth for the priveledge. The others jobs will remain undone.

If this was my business, outsourcing HR would be part of the solution, but so would outsourcing the labour.

There were builders/developers/project managers who employed no staff, but who provided work and paid well.
    They would calculate the job down to the finest detail and then subby the work to labourers to clear site, wetwork contractors, plumbers, roofers, electricians, tilers, decorators, etc.
    But without the core staff to do the clearing, foundations, floor and wetwork the rest cant get the subcontract either, so the whole thing falls down, because the labourers cant be employed to do a simple but well paid job then move on without all the other BS.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    It has worked for me in the past. It has major limitations though. We are going to eventually have to go to consultation. It limits us at the CCMA.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you are operating a business in a certain area and for that particular industry there is a bargaining council active that prescribes min wages, leave, hours, etc...

Do you have to follow these as set out by the bargaining council ?

Thanks in advance

Suspended
    Thanks
    The Building industry Bargaining Council is only there to control the Provident Funds that were in place prior to March 1 2003. There are no Bargaining Rules in place as yet. I will check for further legislation for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123