Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is labour legislation harming employment?

Thanks
    My experience with the waiter and his wages scenario.

M&B coffee was R7.50 per bottomless cup, tip if waiter filled you promptly R2.50.

Enter the new law, coffee went up to R9.50 to compensate the waiters wages, 50c tip, waiter probably in the same financial position as before.

Coffee now R12.50 to compensate for annual waiters increase and to refurbish the owners coffers, no tip! because 2 coffees R15.00 and I need the R5.00 for the parking fee.

Oh and the cups have gotten smaller so need to be refilled more often, more work for the waiters.

As a small business SMME if they want me to hire!! they must let me fire!! without all the crap from dept labour and unions.
    Otherwise I outsource, automate, import or subcontract.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have to agree with you Sterne.Law - However, I feel that if we were more legislatively conscious of what we are and are not allowed to do then we'd be better off and more jobs can be created. Short term job creation can be more damaging than legislation. The government is guilty in this aspect. It promotes short term employment and increases poverty in the process.

For example: World Cup 2010

When the World Cup is over millions of people, who have placed themselves in a higher living standard, are going to be unemployed.

In order to keep your business afloat you need to organize it from the beginning. Do your maths, set up your flow charts and obey the law.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Oct-09 at 08:40 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    M&B Vincent. You can drink coffee there still? You don't need cake. Your plate is gold lined.Very few businessmen can afford to eat there let alone have coffee.

There is no reason why you cannot hire and fire who you want to. Just get to know the law and how to use it.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBEE_CompSpec View Post
    M&B Vincent. You can drink coffee there still? You don't need cake. Your plate is gold lined.Very few businessmen can afford to eat there let alone have coffee.

There is no reason why you cannot hire and fire who you want to. Just get to know the law and how to use it.
    ABSOLUTELY - it is possible to dismiss anyone provided they are committing wrong and you follow the processes. Process need not be long, just there is a rule book and work within the rules. From an HR perspective the initial hiring process is something employers need to look at. Spend some time and money on initial hiring and the first 3 months of probation. Yes, we know many employees behav well in first 3 months and then act up, but just keep a more eager eye in those first 3 months. When you buy a car - do you not test drive it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sterne.law@gmail.com View Post
    ABSOLUTELY - it is possible to dismiss anyone provided they are committing wrong and you follow the processes. Process need not be long, just there is a rule book and work within the rules. From an HR perspective the initial hiring process is something employers need to look at. Spend some time and money on initial hiring and the first 3 months of probation.
    That's fine for big companies with an HR department. For small business owners who's main skill is in what their business produces, this is a whole pile of non-core activity.

Thanks
    Aha! we have a new M&B in EL at the all new Hemmingways Mall!!!!
    Coffee the same price though.

I personally don't have any staff at all but would consider venturing into the odd business if it was not for the fact that staff administration would take up more time than they are worth, or would require hiring someone just to administer the HR???

In the past their were a lot of small builders who used to employ up to five staff permanently, more on occasions. (I am not talking about exploitative use of cheap labour here, they were paid well, rations, school fees and clothes for kids etc. a bit paternalistic perhaps) as soon as all the new unionisation and laws came in these guys rather packed it in and went and worked as storemen or such, so five guys and their families lost out for every small builder that closed.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In deed one can argue to a point, short term employment is BS, yet if you look at government doing this YES they are responsible for giving short term contracts and all that. It is also true that not every business has an HR system and or even understands the basics of what Unions and the CCMA can do to you if reported.

Well let’s point at a few factors when it comes to job creation and sustainability. Let’s take farming for example. Agriculture is sustainable if the government wants it to be. Purifying plants to increase fresh water availability is always looked at as a bit of a pipe dream but it is not. We have the technology and with more water we can expand our natural recourses to the point where we can produce product for export and be competitive.

Now the scale of such an endeavour alone will insure work for generations to come. You will have construction, farming, manufacturing and end product that can sustain us for the future. Also make no mistake we need it because in the future our food demands will double!

South Africans are use to easy money, and imports but fact is our “natural rescores” WILL NOT last forever and we need to look at the future.

Job legislation is as useful as brick in the ocean! We need to look at the problem and it is not always the business owner that is creating the problems! Before you can have labour legislation make sure there is enough jobs!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Vavi will never get what he wants right. I open businesses everyday. If you don't want staff take on learners. They never belong to you. You don't even have to pay them. I have just left East London. In Johannesburg for Chemo. I haven't had the honour of seeing the new mall yet. Lost hope with Hemmingways. Read my articles. I am sure you will pick up a tip or two. Remember, advice is free.

Suspended
    Thanks
    There are plenty of jobs available. Just not the ones that most people want. I cannot find appys or learners in the motor industry. They don't want to get their hands dirty.

I have to agree with you as far as farming is concerned. I have just attended the Agriseta Convention. I hope they can accomplish what they have set out to do.

As far as legislation, learning the laws and unions are concerned, this is where we can help each other. I am re releasing my hard cover book on "Making your union act more professionally". I have also released my 21st Edition of "The S M E Human Resources/Industrial Relations Toolkit" in CD/DVD format. Everything you need to know. 650mb of pure wisdom. My best ever.

I need to get back on my feet. I have been on my back for seventeen weeks, now. I need to get back to work.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That's fine for big companies with an HR department. For small business owners who's main skill is in what their business produces, this is a whole pile of non-core activity.
    At the risk of being cliched - what is a business without your staff? But yes with a small business it is tough. Just the mountain of legislation is scary - safety officer, employment equity, this licence that licence etc, etc. Interestingtly this is something I have found occuring in the last 2 weeks, where a SME has asked if I can perform teh HR role as an outsourced consultant, rather than just the legal guy. It seems it could be quite a need. ANy suggestion from the owners? Would a outsourced HR be viable, make sense and can it work for a SME?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast