Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accounting Package

Thanks
    Accounting packages are sometimes confusing. I agree completely with regards to Pastel. Pastel is aimed at people with an understanding of accounting and accounting principles.

The only problem I have with quickbooks is the fact that anyone with access to the program can go back and change/alter data. From a security perspective it presents a risk.

Thx,
    Marius du Plessis

Thanks
    Marius, did you know that you can create a different user than the admin with more restricted access, for this exact reason?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    Marius, did you know that you can create a different user than the admin with more restricted access, for this exact reason?
    I have quite a few clients using qb, some of them prefer older versions like 2003. Only at the end do I go through the work. I have yet to see a client doing it as you suggest. It might sound bad, but I am not there to train clients. I have to go through their work, rectify mistakes and then afterwards find out that they have gone and do other adjustments....

Well, there is no such thing as a perfect accounting system

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxempt View Post
    I have to go through their work, rectify mistakes and then afterwards find out that they have gone and do other adjustments....
    You could set the closing date for the financial period you've finished with and lock it down with your own password

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxempt View Post
    Accounting packages are sometimes confusing. I agree completely with regards to Pastel. Pastel is aimed at people with an understanding of accounting and accounting principles.

The only problem I have with quickbooks is the fact that anyone with access to the program can go back and change/alter data. From a security perspective it presents a risk.

Thx,
    Marius du Plessis
    this was a problem in old versions, about the year 2000 or so. You can now have different users and have large amount of control over what they can and cant do, including the ability to delete transactions.
    I am a firm believer in QB - I have used AccPac, Brilliant, Pastel etc, etc. QB is the easiest to use, probably has the best reporting structures and is cheap. I always believed that sales of this package was a bit slow up until 3 or so years ago because a) accountants and bookkeepers recommend pastel(because they know it and are comfortable with it) and b) I believe sales people do not want to sell it because it is so easy that it is unlikely they will get much support work.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    As A Quickbooks nut, I still think it is the best, especially for non-accounting people/users.

The concerns with "tampering" is unfounded. Yes it allows you to change transactions willy nilly. But if the "audit trail" is scrutinised, all these changes are shown, with time and date of the change.

No software is perfect, so is an accounting package. Remember accounting bodies propose that information should be "fair", not ACCURATE.
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    This is my 2 cents worth.....Pastel you gat cheap if you shop around. I got mine from Software 123, and they deliver for free. Around R250 cheaper than a Incredible corruption and R50 cheaper than the 2nd cheapest retailer I sourced.

I am a dumbass when it comes to accounting....On varsity I failed it yes, I am not proud but willing to share....a total of 6%. Doing business a few years you pick up some knowledge, and when I started using Pastel I got it within a day and have been using it since.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Thanks
    Does anyone know how Peachtree accounting compares with Quickbooks Pro? I'm just curious because I need to invest in some software for my business but I'm really in the dark about what to get.
    Last edited by Dave A; 03-May-10 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that this is a South African site, my first question was can Peachtree handle VAT?

Pity really - it looks like a nice product otherwise.

Thanks
    If you are looking at Pastel try junkmail or bidorbuy for people selling second hand packages etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast