Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME - Small and Medium-sized Enterprises?

Thanks

SME - Small and Medium-sized Enterprises?

SME - Small and Medium-sized Enterprises?

I am fairly new to business and this is a grey area that I would like to have clarified. I have a couple of questions on the subject and would appreciate it if anyone can help me out:

What is the definition of an SME? (besides abbreviation)

What is the criteria for a business to be classified as a SME?

What are the benefits for my business to be classified as a SME?

Can any type of business be classified as a SME?

Where can I read some legislation on the subject?

Is there a set out framework for classifying enterprises, and where can I find it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are different definitions on a variety of fronts.

To kick this off, there's SARS' view for the purpose of qualifying for small business corporation tax benefits.

For generic broad-based BEE scorecard purposes, the SME range is R5 million to R35 million.

There's also a generic DTI classification of micro, small, medium and large businesses, but I can't find the table just at the moment.

Thanks
    SARS does not have one single description for small business; instead there are several definitions utilised for different purposes:

For Amnesty purposes, a small business is any business with a turnover of up to R10m;

For Income Tax purposes (Section 12E), a Small Business Corporation (SBC) is defined as a business having a turnover of less than R14m, over and above other qualifying criteria.

For Capital Gains Tax, a Small and medium Enterprise (SME) is described as a business having total net assets of under R5m.

It is therefore proposed that SARS restricts itself to the definition as used for SBC regime purposes – i.e. a small business is a business that has a turnover of no more than R14 million. The National Small Business Office (NSBO) therefore operates within the ambit and interests of businesses in South Africa with a turnover of no more than R14m per annum.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No wonder tax is so complicated.

Thanks
    The DTI classifies SMEs in the following way

Small establishments 20 – 49 employees
    Medium-sized establishments 50 – 199 employees.

Thanks
    @ allsorts:

"I am fairly new to business and this is a grey area that I would like to have clarified. I have a couple of questions on the subject and would appreciate it if anyone can help me out"

All the various playas ie. SARS, DTI, Customs, Banks etc have their own
    (1) definitions
    (2) benefits
    (3) classification criteria
    (4) Other
    and within those (4) and more, their own individual tax application rules for each individual event be it CGT, Amnesty, Income tax etc etc...

"Is there a set out framework for classifying enterprises"

- Yes, but not only one! ....they are endless depends who you are "dealing" with

"and where can I find it" - refer to each individual playa's back yard...nudge nudge wink wink....you're doing well so far ....stuck in the web!!!

Personally, SME is just a name given to the small fish in an ocean of giant fish with some tax relief and procurement benefits via BEE dreams to provide "virtual" hope to those who wanna be a big fish.......

Catch ..big fish eat small fish.

I have to ask, what is your actual concern, ultimate goal?

Thanks
    @ Francois

Firstly, I would like to thank you for posting on my ‘post?’ the information you have provided has helped me and your opinion has created some insight to.

"I have to ask, what is your actual concern, ultimate goal?"

I am planning to launch a new business venture early next year and this time around I am doing some research about how things work, to compile a bit of knowledge that would hopefully give me a more comprehensive understanding of to run this venture on the business/admin side. Hopefully it will allow me to focus more on the actual ‘product’ when the business is running.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I was wondering about this today!

What turnover makes a small business and medium business?

Does anyone have information different from above, or is Daves small business < R5mil and medium business >R5mil <R35mil the way to go?

Thanks
    A SME is just a small 'big' business
    At least that is the way it seams if you are a 'solopreneur' and I am sure 'Gubbimint' thinks that way too.
    In a big business you have an admin department, a sales department and a development department in a small business you have to do the same admin, sales and development yourself so there is no time to make money
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    please note that a sbc is not the same as an sme - most companies are sme's and financials is also compiled using IFRS for SME's.

According to IFRS SME's are defined as entities that:

Do not have public accountability and publish general prupose financial statements for external users examples: owners who are not involved in managing the business, existing and potential creditors and credit rating agencies

An enitity has public acountability if:
    it debt or equity insturments are traded in a public market or it is in the process of issuing such instruments or it holds assets in a fiduciary capacity for a broad group of outsiders as one of its primare businesses.

Some entities which hold assets in a fiduciary capacity for reasons incidental to a primary business are not consedered to be publicly accountable e.g. travel or real estate agenst, schools, charitable organizations, co-operative enterprises requiring a membership deposits and sellers that receive payment in advance of delivery of the goods or servies.

Here is a link with some Q&A
    Geraldene Kapp
    Professional Tax Help
    www.mytaxhelp.co.za

11. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (16-Feb-12), wynn (16-Feb-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast