Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ADSL @R29/gig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    How is afrihost performing? Are you guys still using them? I see they are still doing 1G for R29 - I am being ripped R70/1G by webafrica and need to change now as they have really been messing around.
    "Ja well no fine"

I have 3 accounts with them. The reason being that I tried them first with a 1 gig package @ R39 valid for 1 year which can be topped up. The test turned out fine so I got another 3 gig package @29/gig for my business with automatic top up and another 2 gig package for home use.
    Now.......in the 3 gig package they gave me a free domain name registration and "parked" it. ( Value R 300 ) This is where my frustration started.

I decided to have the domain activated and in the process also asked them to register another domain as well for which I paid R 300 and R 35/m for doing a "domain pointing" to my server in the USA. Both domain pointings cost me R 70 /m.
    My son who does the websites and hosting has been battling for 4 weeks now to access the domains and asked me to help by phoning Afrihost. I made some phone calls to their support (sometimes as bad as phoning a government department) and approx 15 emails to try to get the problem sorted.
    I phoned them this morning and the result was: My original domain had been registered but the account had not been paid to COZA by Afrihost. ( They claim they only do payments every 3 months !) and they have pointed this to their own hosting site.
    The second domain for which I have paid the registration and also the domain pointing charge has not even been registered at COZA but for both these "services" I have been billed.

So, my experience so far is mixed, ADSL access is ok but the domain handling side seems to be a bit beyond them.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    I decided to have the domain activated and in the process also asked them to register another domain as well for which I paid R 300 and R 35/m for doing a "domain pointing" to my server in the USA. Both domain pointings cost me R 70 /m.
    My son who does the websites and hosting has been battling for 4 weeks now to access the domains and asked me to help by phoning Afrihost. I made some phone calls to their support (sometimes as bad as phoning a government department) and approx 15 emails to try to get the problem sorted.
    I phoned them this morning and the result was: My original domain had been registered but the account had not been paid to COZA by Afrihost. ( They claim they only do payments every 3 months !) and they have pointed this to their own hosting site.
    The second domain for which I have paid the registration and also the domain pointing charge has not even been registered at COZA but for both these "services" I have been billed.

So, my experience so far is mixed, ADSL access is ok but the domain handling side seems to be a bit beyond them.
    You can register your own domain directly with http://co.za for R50

I would suggest you move that domain to your USA server as soon as possible. You basically need to update the domain, as per these instructions http://co.za/update/updateinfo.shtml to use the USA server's nameserver (get this from the host, it will be something like ns1.host.com & ns2.host.com). You can get the correct template from here: http://co.za/Update_gen.php. Copy that template, with the correct domain name, into a plain text email, update the nameserver info, and any other info, and them email it to the email address on the template.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

3. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (11-May-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    You can register your own domain directly with http://co.za for R50

I would suggest you move that domain to your USA server as soon as possible. You basically need to update the domain, as per these instructions http://co.za/update/updateinfo.shtml to use the USA server's nameserver (get this from the host, it will be something like ns1.host.com & ns2.host.com). You can get the correct template from here: http://co.za/Update_gen.php. Copy that template, with the correct domain name, into a plain text email, update the nameserver info, and any other info, and them email it to the email address on the template.
    Ok, as it stands it appears that Afrihost has not registered the one domain with COZA as a search comes up with nothing. The other one is there.
    As I have paid Afrihost already do you suggest I let them register as per my DNS requirement and the other I simply send the changes to COZA ? ( I have the info )
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Ok, as it stands it appears that Afrihost has not registered the one domain with COZA as a search comes up with nothing. The other one is there.
    As I have paid Afrihost already do you suggest I let them register as per my DNS requirement and the other I simply send the changes to COZA ? ( I have the info )
    You can see the registration & payment status of both domains here: http://co.za/whois.shtml just type in the domain name in the search box.

Since you paid for the domain, it belongs to you and they can't force you to keep it with them. IF they refuse to give you your own domain, then a simple "a letter from my lawyer will follow this email" is normally enough to get the ball rolling. If they then still refuse it, then you can these steps: http://co.za/legal-FAQ.shtml - of which the easiest would be to ask Uniforum to update the domain with your details, on a company letterhead which you fax through to them.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-May-10)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234