Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADSL @R29/gig

Thanks
    Have been on the Afrihost service for a few months now, and still no different to what I got from MWeb - except a lot cheaper !!
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Ian, if you see it getting within 20% of hosting internationally, let me know. I'm quite happy to pay a 20% premium for local.
    Dave
    I use Hetzner now I will be able to get 4GB traffic for my website. Plans here. This should do me nicely as I currently use 1.5GB to 2GB. Still a long way off what you can get in the states. A lot of my traffic is transferring files and a local host would make this a lot faster.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Is anyone trying to run afrihost AFTER their Telkom ADSL cap has been reached and on the the same modem?

We use 30 or 40 Gig per month and would like to keep the first Telkom account switching to Afrihost thereafter, but are battling with settings and stuff..??
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Debbie, why do you want to keep the Telkom account?

We use a Linux firewall, with a few different accounts and it automatically changes ADSL account on certain conditions, so you may want to look into that kind of setup? OR, get an ADSL router with dual PPPOE accounts.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi SoftDux - I am not the guru here, but I think we would like to err on the side of caution...we know Telkom works and if one is down we can do another I suspect... I was afraid the dual router thingy would be the answer!!! Crap. More expenses.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    Hi SoftDux - I am not the guru here, but I think we would like to err on the side of caution...we know Telkom works and if one is down we can do another I suspect... I was afraid the dual router thingy would be the answer!!! Crap. More expenses.
    Ok, if that was your reason, that's fine I just thought you may save some money with only one account. Generall, all ADSL traffic goes through 2 major pipes, IS / SAIX (being Telkom) and the DataPro / MTN "group". And more than often, if telkom has ADSL issues, then IS would as well. They have ironed out most of the small teething problems at this stage and we generally sit with larger problems like broken cables or exchanges.

Another option, if this could help: Setup the ADSL router in bridge mode, and then create the PPPoE accounts on your desktop, this way you could quickly swap between them if needed. - no extra costs involved

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    Here's another option: RouteSentry: Manage 2 ADSL account connections on 1 pc, 1 line, 1 modem (local/intnl)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    My main provider is Axxess - so far I can say there is NO difference between Axxess and Afrihost - only price! I only have a 384 kbps connection though. Axxess also uses IS bandwith like Afrihost.
    Axxess use SAIX, IS and Seacom.

Have you seen the new offers by Afrihost? R950 for 50GB plus until May the will double your bandwidth. Therefore you get 100GB. That's like R9.50 a GB!

Thanks

ADSL @R29.00

Hi Folks,

I have been "Touching base" with Afrihost since December and have just signed up for a 10GB @R290.00 package. It works great, same as my Axxess account (at half the price). Just a caution here, if you need more than one e-mail address it will cost you additional accounts as each ADSL account is only allowed 1 e-mail address and 5 aliases, or you will need to go for their domain hosting options, which are not as affordable as this offer, but if 1 address is enough for you, the price is really good and their service levels are way above average.

Obviously, the speed tests I have done using the account differ quite a bit, this is traffic related (SAIX and IS networks are very loaded by small users, whereas SEACOM is normally a business protocol and can handle way more streams).

I believe a new cable is coming on line sometime soon that will be used more for the smaller, domestic market? Anyone know anything about this project?

Thanks
    Yes, there is one coming. I can't remember the name for it, but it was slowed down so that the SEACOm cables could reach us ASAP (for 2010)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast