Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fraud on Medical certificates

Suspended
    Thanks
    I recently was requested to do a retrenchment for a business that, in no way, could pay severance. In consultation I managed to convince the employee that if I did not do the process correctly and that if he didn't accept the offer put before him, I would have to close the business down completely. I did have alternatives to him losing his job completely. Now both the Employer and Employee are happy. There will still be a retrenchment. The business will not close. They will now work side by side and both determine their own salaries. And they have the SETA's backing.

There are ways to sort out problems. If you have incompatibility revert to retrenchment. Find them alternate work in another company. Try anything. Just don't look for a reason to dismiss. Employees are very clever today.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBEE_CompSpec View Post
    He still has condonation. He can apply in 150 days time using a medical reason for his late application. He will be granted Arbitration in limine. Never rest on your laurels. Get to know the law, the loopholes and the facts. You need to be one step ahead of your employees. You should have them working for you not you for them.
    Seeing as the guy has just been dismissed, condonation is not an issue, nonetheless there is no prescriptive case or time line for a condonation application. Each application will be treated on it's merits. and show good cause. Employers should also note that they may object in writing to a Condonation application. Quite correctly employers must educate themselves on the basics and NEVER take for granted that a case is a slam dunk!!

Thanks
    Employees are very clever today
    So what were they yesterday?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    You need to go to Schedule 8 of the LRA. Secondly, your company needs to have its own Policies & Procedures Manual. I have one already to use in my latest book. It comes in CD or DVD format and only costs R460-00. There is also everything you need to discipline for any misconduct. You don't require a three warning system.

Suspended
    Thanks
    They weren't allowed to give an opinion. They were suppressed in their further education on labour legislation. Many business owners or Employers got away with murder. I could go on for ever. Today the Department of Labour has the right to advertise on both TV and Radio.

Suspended
    Thanks
    The Department of Labour now has equal jurisdiction with the CCMA. Where the CCMA were not allowed to adjudicate over salary matters in the past, they may now do so in the matter of a referral. CCMA cannot afford to have offices in all towns but the DOL is already established throughout SA. The DOL now accepts referral applications and transfers them to CCMA. Labour inspectors are now being trained in the areas of the CCMA. They are working together. We already know that the DOL is very biased and will act mainly on behalf of the employee.

Suspended
    Thanks
    In the total time I have worked with the CCMA, and that dates back to when the CCMA used the Industrial Courts premises as well as the DOL, that I have seen a condonation case go beyond 150 days. I was informed by a senior commissioner in Natal that he will not allow a hearing where the degree of lateness exceeded 150 days unless there was a serious medical reason quoted.

Suspended
    Thanks
    The scary part of going to an Arbitration at the CCMA is, unlike the civil courts where you have an idea of what will happen to you when you break the law, you never know what the result is going to be until the award is made. And that even if you have a reason and you follow the correct procedure. GET TO KNOW LABOUR LEGISLATION.

Thanks
    What if the doctor wrote the wrong dates and it's backdated bt your employer charge you for tampering with a medical certificate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    What if the doctor wrote the wrong dates and it's backdated bt your employer charge you for tampering with a medical certificate
    Get a note from the doctor.
    Or ask the employer to call the doctor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast