Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: smokers!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

smokers!

Cape Town - Parliamentarians gave their final seal of approval on Thursday to legislation which will make it harder for smokers to indulge their habit in the open air, at home or in their cars.
    The amendment bill makes it an offence to smoke within a prescribed distance from a window, ventilation inlet, doorway or entrance to a public place - and introduces a fine of R500 for breaches.
    Employers who fail to protect non-smokers in the workplace would be liable for a fine of up to R100 000, a ten-fold increase on the previous penalty.
    Full story here: http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthA...ng_laws_passed

In all honesty I am getting sick of this! Smokers must unite and start an action. This is victimizing the smoking population! I am not joking they are attacking innocent people outright.

What about the bloody drunks that can drink and drive? What about the many road accidents that is linked to drinking and driving. You don’t see them getting in trouble, fact is you see them walk away with not even a slap on the writs!

This is BS and that is the end of it. I am not even a smoker and this is upsetting me!

2. Thanks given for this post:

BBBEE_CompSpec (30-Oct-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The article is dated 2007

4. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The law is in power now...

6. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks

Comments on Linkedin to this article!

Some intresting comments from group member on the South African Business network on linkedin
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

8. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    I'm all for going through a door into the great outdoors and breathing in fresh air (polluted yes, but fresh as it gets) without inhaling clouds of smoke from people who cannot understand how their habit affects others.

Bring it on.
    And Yes bring on the same for the drink and driving offenders.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

10. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    I do think this is an inconvenience, and some people would feel wronged by this. But when you think about it, there is reasoning behind banning it. The world seems to be encountering more and more health problems. Asthma is everywhere. Second hand smoking has been proven to be more damaging than direct smoking is. would you let some random walk up to your kid and stick him with a needle full of "happy medicine?" or someone come by and put a 6 shooter to your head? click! this time... smokers have always felt victimised. they've just never been the victim.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I'm with TecO on this. Freedom of choice blah blah etc. Have some legislation but if you push it this hard all you end up doing is creating more problems. Smokers will soon be joining the ousted marijuana users who have joined the heavy drug users, all because what they do is socially (and legally) unacceptable - end result? Even more social problems.

I have the same theory with marijuana, legalise it. Makes it easier to come by and this means the kids who try it, do not necessarily have to get it from drug pushers who have the sale of other more dangerous and lucrative drugs as their goal.

If we carry on like this we will be pushing the cigarette smokers to the same extremes.

I personally don't believe legislation is a deterrent. In a 'wildwest' country like this I think it is seen more as a challenge!!

For decades now we have been telling teenagers especially, don't smoke, don't drink, don't have sex, it's illegal and bad for you...are we winning?...I rest my case.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Its fine having a freedom of choice and I am all for that.

But what about the non smokers freedom of choice. Smokers generally do not realise the effects of their habit. Why should I as a non smoker have to smoke as well when sitting enjoying the outside part of a restaurant.

If the smokers have some consideration and do it in their own environment then go for it. If a drunk winds his/her way to your table while you are having a meal and coughs and splutters all over you - what would you say - totally unacceptable yet smoke has the same effect and smokers think this is ok.

I dont think the debate should be about legalisation of these substances - it should be about the space in which you carry out your habit. Knock yourself out, smoke drink drugs and whatever is great in your own space but when you affect others and their freedom of choice its not on.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Why should I as a non smoker have to smoke as well when sitting enjoying the outside part of a restaurant
    I agree. Why is the relaxing outside tables with the nice view always 'reserved' for the smokers ?

As non-smokers, we have to sit inside because the restaurant doesn't want to spend on an indoor smoking area.

I also totally agree with the new law that bans smoking in cars with kids. Especially when in Jhb, I often saw a car packed full of kids with the driver puffing away and the window open only a slight crack because it's cold outside !!

And I think that smoking on the beach should also be banned - every weekend we, with 2 young kids, end up downwind because the smokers just don't give a hoot where they light up.

I am an ex-smoker, but I feel the smokers themselves have bought this upon themselves as a result of their majority having little or no consideration for others.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Right for starts I selected this old article to point out how long they have been working on this law. As I understand it, this law is now in full power. The thing is smokers don’t bother me that much. It is on a Friday night when I get home from work that I see all the drunk drivers speeding around and making skidpans of our roads. Now there are no traffic cops that even bother to stop them?

Secondly what about car emissions? These gasses are also toxic and can kill you. However again our traffic cops are happy to stare at an old bus puffing black smoke with kids on their way to school. Then there is the “unwashed coals” that is used in “most townships” This stuff is poison but because it’s out of sight it is out of mind.

Fact is smoking has therapeutic qualities. It is not healthy “like most medications if abused” but it does help with anger, stress and there is speculation that even helps people with depression. If you look at the effects of most anti-depression medications you will find that they can also be harmful to your health.

Fact is smokers are visible and that is why the government will pick on them. If you look at illegal drugs in our aria it is scary because nothing is being done about it! So why not attack the illegal drug trade first? Simple it is harder work thus more difficult...

I can also point out the steel plants and the mining industry and point out that the polusion they generate is deadly to us and nature but no one cares about this because they have money...

This is wrong! And you know it. Why are the honest people always under attack? Criminals don’t care because nothing gets done to stop them so basically a mixed massage

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast