Thread: Survey: Website hosting

Thanks

Survey: Website hosting

Hi,

With all the competition around in the web hosting sector, I was wondering if it's a viable business to start.

1) Do you pay for web hosting, or do you host with one of the free providers (with banner ads etc)?
    2) If given a better deal and better service, would you move your account?
    3) Do you have any issues with your current host? What are they?

Please help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel32 View Post

With all the competition around in the web hosting sector, I was wondering if it's a viable business to start.
    I think it's only a viable business if you think small, for a niche market, bundling the hosting with another service like a membership site (you'd then sell hosting through a reseller account). Of course, you can compete with the big boys, but you'd need lots of capital, time, and an excellent marketing department.

1) Do you pay for web hosting, or do you host with one of the free providers (with banner ads etc)?
    You only go with free hosts if your web presence is nothing but a hobby. Have a business, need your own domain, and own hosting. The only other reason why you'd maintain some pages on free hosts is for the SEO value, and to link to your primary site.

Only if my current host gives me too much trouble, otherwise it would have to be an absolutely incredible deal.

3) Do you have any issues with your current host? What are they?
    No, I host multiple domains with HostGator, and I'm pretty happy with them.

That's my two or three cents on the topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It certainly seems to be a very competitive business. That said, viability is probably more a function of your marketing strategy and ability to generate some sales rather than "being the cheapest." I agree with platform35 - the opportunities lie with niche markets. The challenge with developing niche markets is that you really have to understand them.
    platform35 nails this one perfectly. And with some packages running at well under R50.00 per month... well that's not much of a price to pay to lose the free hosting banners - and many of the limitations that go with free hosting accounts.
    Personally, I have only moved when I've had problems with my existing provider. And to clarify that, the problems generally haven't been around service levels (prompt attention to queries sort of thing.) It's been around technical limitations arising from overstretched resources. Most often it's come down to growing beyond the limitations of the hosting package, hitting limitations that generally don't feature in the adverts.
    3) Do you have any issues with your current host?
    No. But did I ever learn some hard lessons getting to this point.

Thanks
    Dave makes a valid point about free hosts versus paid. It's so damn cheap to get all the hosting a small business/online presence requires, that it's just not worth the extra risk of a free host, not to mention THEIR Google ads and THEIR banners on your pages.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Untill I get everything up and running (or until further notice), I can offer free hosting on my account for anyone reading this. I'm paying for the space + bandwidth wether I use it or not, so might as well use it. Please PM me for info.