I am sure that everyone is familiar with the “Internet Blues”. So I did a bit of investigation and found that a lot of companies have the internet. It is also true that the internet do cost them a lot of money. But I wonder how many of them considered actually why they have the internet?

Fact is not every company do market research on the net. But there cost of their internet is phenomenal! So what is the deal? Well a customer of mine asked me to investigate why his internet was costing him an arm and a leg.

So I did my investigation and found that 20% of his cap is E-mail and Antivirus updates. 80% was downloading screensavers, online videos, music, and other crap that I would rather not mention. Now I have installed a bit of kit and set a few policies on it. The office wanted to kill me but the boss was a happy man he was saving A LOT OF MONEY!

So I thought I would give you a small yes or no list.

Do you allow your employees unlimited internet access?
Do you allow your employees to install software for their own use?
Do you allow your employees to use their e-mail for personal use?

If you answered yes then the changes are that your internet is being abused. A simple yes to just two of these questions and YOU might be losing money. In all honesty you don’t need a special hardware to take care of the problem. Simple office discipline will do wonders.