Thread: Leadership and management

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Leadership and management

Quite a good read here from Business Week - The best leadership is good management.
    We're overled and undermanaged. As someone who teaches, writes, and advises about management, I hear stories about this every day: about CEOs who don't manage so much as deem—pronouncing performance targets, for instance, that are supposed to be met by whoever is doing the real managing.
    I can see this problem being particularly relevant in big business. But for us lessor enterprises where the boss isn't constantly in touch with the frontline, I really like this point:
    Studies show that vital information is typically transmitted to a CEO informally—orally, often, rather than in formal reports. Leaders removed from managing aren't going to get these messages.
    Note to self: Must keep walking the floor and taking feedback from all levels.

Thanks
    I think it was Tom Peters - In search of Excellence - that set all the basics out on managing and getting on the floor. Still a good read.

One of my first Manager's and mentor taught me that we know nothing at the top until we 'work in the engine room and get your hands dirty'. Even as a senior manager in those days, we did duty every now again from switchboard to ...mmmm..ok I didn't clean the toilets, but we did a lot of stuff in the trenches to experience what the staff were going through and what the customers expectations were and what the market was doing. Can't say I enjoyed a lot of the processes but sure did learn a lot.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Email problem
    Thanks
    I like this alot. I do believe that people in higher postions should get thier hands dirty and experiance all aspects that help run thier business. It has so many positives. It helps to build respect, helps to know and uderstand your staff. When decisions need to be made on changing the business, a manager can make one based on experiance.
    But I find that so many people push to get a top postion and when there down tool and forget where they came from. So many people in high postions think they are king and make paper decisions. There could be a bomb waiting to explode in the work shop and they would never know.Do peole learn how to manage in varsity? Does it say remain at your desk?

Thanks
    Do peole learn how to manage in varsity? Does it say remain at your desk?
    This is one of the missing fundamentals from nursery school to business school. Basic life skill sets are missing and the result is bad potty training, crap 'managers' and 'leaders', poor business principles, work ethics to name a few.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    There was a big building supplies company in EL who had a huge store with the management offices at the top floor with lovely sea views.
    Needless to say there was no management on the sales floor.

I have also heard about a successful plumbing supplies company in PE where the owner sits at a desk behind the sales counter where he can also keep an eye on the store and dispatch door.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256