Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boost business by word of Mouth

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Dave
    What is lateral maketing?

Thanks
    I think a dancing girl or the latest hot action movies playing in the shop might get the guys in the pub talking.

How about hiring a clown to go make balloons for the kids who come for cuts, or hire a school lass to do face painting free after their cuts on certain days of the week - or send the clown to the local pre-primary and primary schools to make balloons and hand out flyers - Cut on Tuesday afternoon = free face paint. Cut on Wednesday for a Ben10 sticker book ( costs about R10 ), or a free temporary tattoo sticker, Spiderman water bottle, etc.

Tell the kids the offer, cos once they get it in their brains that they want this thing, there's relatively little the parents can do to argue with a 4 year old who's demanding to be taken for a hair cut !!

Get the young kids wanting to come to you and guaranteed the mommies will be accompanying them. ps ... women always think they rule the roost - actually it's the kids 90% of the time. ( and I have my wife's permission to say so )
    Watching the ships passing by.

3. Thanks given for this post:

carm (03-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carm View Post
    What is lateral maketing?
    Basically it's something off to the side of your core business function.

Just this morning I saw an FNB advert for Lotto tickets purchased via your cellphone. Why is FNB doing this? Is it their main stream of business?

Two good related reads here are the threads on Viral marketing and the changing face of marketing.

Looking at your business particularly, you might not be able to get guys talking about haircuts, but they might talk to other people about something they noticed whilst getting their haircut.

5. Thanks given for this post:

carm (02-Sep-09)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Brilliant links. My mind is running.
    What do men want? for women it is convieniant to do the whole beauty thing in one location. they will get their hair nails and facials done at one place. Metro sexual men will do the same. But what does an average guy want or do besides a hair cut? do all men drink? I know some do. that is easily solved. But what does a man want? I know a few men who would laugh at a hand massage, dont even mention a foot massage. I know i need to set a target for the type of clients i want. But i feel location offten dictates the clientelle as well. In my location there are very few metro sexuals. The men are mature. The location feels similar to ones in coastal regions all locals going to the pub for a drink before going home. And there just happens to be a hair salon.
    Everyone knows me and says 'hi' but they dont come in,it is as if they dont trust. the ones that have come in i feel like stamping their heads saying 'hair cut by Addictive'
    Last edited by carm; 03-Sep-09 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Guys need it to be like next door, with no q's and no real frills stuff...well thats my idea of a good haircut - Its not something I plan or even put on my agenda - its - hey I've got 5 minutes think I'll shoot out and get a haircut.
    Marq makes a strong point here. I confess I feel the same way, particularly about the queues. And appointments? No thanks.

OK - what we're describing is a barber shop (Thompsons by any chance, Marq?).

Now if I think about what I might have talked about when it comes to my haircut, it's convenience, price, and the fact that they use the old fashioned barber's razor for the final clean.

No idea if I'm typical or not...

8. Thanks given for this post:

carm (03-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Everyone knows me and says 'hi' but they dont come in,it is as if they dont trust.
    One of the basics I have found in life, is that when this situation occurs, it is because of your basic mistrust of them. You may be giving out the vibe of mistrust and as result you are picking it up when it looks back at you.

So perhaps, not knowing you at all, you should look at your own attitude, friendliness, approachability or maybe even change your hairstyle to give that impression that you are the only one in town that can do hair properly.

Its like that feeling of rejection when you have gone to your 100'th interview for a job or your 100'th sales call without a bite and just cannot understand why nothing is working. They are picking up your dejected and desperate feeling and nobody wants to employ a person like that or buy stuff that may be tainted. We do it sub-consciously so its not an easy thing to remedy, but being aware of it is a huge step forward.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

10. Thanks given for this post:

carm (03-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Everyone knows me and says 'hi' but they dont come in
    Are you asking for their business?

Try something like:

Hi right back at you. And I've got to say, I'd just looove to do your hair one day.

12. Thanks given for this post:

carm (03-Sep-09)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks you guys are great. one final question. Does your barber offer complimentary cigars and if yes or no. would you be impressed

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Does your barber offer complimentary cigars and if yes or no. would you be impressed
    No, she doesn't. And given what she charges I'd be worried about the quality

And imagine the non-smokers' reaction

I'd suggest having someone giving complimentary shoe shines would be a better idea.

15. Thanks given for this post:

carm (04-Sep-09)

Thanks
    I agree with Dave. A shop reeking of cigars would alienate the women and kids clients.

The shoe shine is a great idea.
    Watching the ships passing by.

17. Thanks given for this post:

carm (04-Sep-09)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast